Slc 5/05 - dead!

jrexrode

I've got a SLC 5/05 cpu that appears to be dead. By looking at past threads dealing with similar problems, and trying a few things, I'm heeding Ken Roach's advice that if the fault light is solid, then you are S.O.L. A new cpu has been ordered and I'm still trying to pick up my jaw after reading the quoted price! Wow! So, just for ****es and grins, can anyone suggest anything to try to bring this thing back to life, or does it become the most expensive, useless thing on my desk?

You can try to find a place where you could get a remanfactured unit for a better price and still get a one year warrenty.

If you have a back-up of the program you might try to default the processor by removing its battery and shorting VBB to GND ( see PDF below)

Yeah, I tried shorting VBB and GND several times to, with no results. This things is completely locked. No serial comms or ethernet. I even tried moving the J4 jumper to program to see what would happen. I figured what the heck, it's trashed anyway. The ethernet light would flash a number of times, pause, and flash the same number of times again. I powered down, put the jumper back to protect and powered up. Still nothing. I'd be interested to know if this particular model with this particular problem can be repaired.

What series and part number? if its a L553 then it may be worth having repaired, but they still charge a lot to fix them.... let me know if you want to sell it, but it needs to be a L552 or L553 and series C

Thanks
Mark

Hi.
I am a bit of a hoarder so I save our dead 5/05s.
I posted 2 to Joe and had them back in 3 weeks working perfectly.
Considering I am based in Australia that was exceptional service.
Regards Alan Case