SLC 5/05 Dead Ethernet Port

Jnelson

Anyone ever have an ethernet port just puke out on one of these?

This processor is in a test rack in a perfectly suitable environment and was working great up until yesterday. I can talk to it through serial and there are no errors reported in the status files. From a processor standpoint, everything looks fine to it but no comms on that port. Kinda messed up if you think about it.

I have been through all the usual different switch, different cable, crossover cable, hard reset, new blank base program, bootp, blah, blah, blah. Oh BTW, bootp doesnt see it either...

Ideas?

Thanks

You could probably still use a NET ENI module. Have you tried downloading new firmware?

I don't think "bootp doesn't see it" is a sensible statement, but I know what you mean...

Jnelson said:
I have been through all the usual different switch, different cable, crossover cable, hard reset, new blank base program, bootp, blah, blah, blah. Oh BTW, bootp doesnt see it either...

Ideas?

I've heard vague (but unconfirmed) horror stories of these ethernet ports being blown out by someone mistakenly plugging a PIC module into it - or a cable from a DH-485 network (as in PanelView, etc.) ... the connectors are physically the same - and the "if-it-fits-it-must-be-right" rule leads inexperienced technicians to give it a try ...

that's probably not YOUR problem - but I just thought that I'd mention the possibility and maybe help others down the road ...

I've heard vague (but unconfirmed) horror stories of these ethernet ports being blown out by someone mistakenly plugging a PIC module into it

I did the opposite. Plugged an ethernet cable from my laptop into a DH485 RJ45 port. Made the ethernet port on the laptop un-usable but the computer does not detect any problems. Probably damaged the little ethernet transformer

Ouch :eek: - at least a PC card/USB -> Ethernet is cheap. Alternatively, you still have wireless. Puttin' a SLC on the network is a considerably more expensive "oops" :whistle:.

AJZ said:
I did the opposite. Plugged an ethernet cable from my laptop into a DH485 RJ45 port. Made the ethernet port on the laptop un-usable but the computer does not detect any problems. Probably damaged the little ethernet transformer

You can take the communication card from the slc504 and 505 series plc's and swap them around (you actual take the processor apart carefully). I've managed to save a couple by doing this over the years. If you don't have the parts your out of luck. I also sent one to a company in toronto and had one repaired. I can't remember the name though.

Good luck.

Broken SLC

I use several SLC5/05’s in my job doing testing for our products interfacing with AB products. I’ve had two of them where I’ve had to take them apart and re-solder the RJ-45 connector to the board. I’ve not heard any complaints from our customers about this so I don’t believe it’s a large problem and other than this I’ve never had any trouble with them (or any of the other AB PLC’s I work with). With the thousands that get produced, once and awhile you’re going to get a cold solder joint.