SLC 5/03 OS Upgrade Help! Dead Battery?

NxB

I have an A/B SLC 5/03 1747-L532 that I'm trying to upgrade. The OS on it was erased and I finally got the firmware update ROM. The battery on this unit died and I havn't replaced it yet. I just took it out.

When I put the upgrade in, it appears to download sucessfuly.
The problem is that when I remove the upgrade and cycle the power, I get a fault and I can't communicate with it at all. The fault code is
FLT, FORCE, DH485 then FLT, FORCE, DH485, RS232, BATT.
It alternates those 2 sequences. Could the lack of battery be causing this or is it something else? I just spent $150 on this stupid upgrade and its still broken.

The battery is causing it. You need to either store the program to the EPROM (if it has one) and set it to load on loss of memory (the option is called something like that) or replace the battery.

Without a battery in a 5/03, you will loose the program on power cycle.

But the whole thing faults and I can't even communicate with it. I'm loading the OS not just a program. Well I'm off to get a battery anyways. Whats a few more $$.

If memory serves, when you kill the power, the processor losses all of it's user programming, but not the OS. When you apply power the processor has no configuration, so it goes to the default, which is faulted.

You can't communicate because the comm. settings go back to default as well.

Buy a battery.

Are you saying all of those lights are on? If so, that has nothing to do with the battery.

After performing the upgrade, did you remember to move the "PROTECT/PROGRAM" jumper back to "protect"?

Please tell us exactly what the lights on the front are doing.

OG

Those sequences would not indicate a bad battery. It sounds like the firmware upgrade either did not complete or did not take somehow. I would perform the upgrade again.

Make sure you move the jumper to PROGRAM, insert the upgrade module, plug the CPU in and power it up. Wait for the flashing light sequence to stop. I think all lights are on when done but check the instructions to be sure. Power it down, remove the upgrade module, put the jumper in the PROTECT position. Put the processor back in and power up. At that point you should have a FAULT since there is no program loaded.

The capacitor can provide temporary backup in place of a battery. I believe it is rated for 30 minutes of backup.

OG

I put it back to protect when I removed the upgrade. I did it a couple of times and it still says the same thing. Upgrade completes but then its back to the same flashing sequence.

I have another power supply but its broken. I've read that this is a boot error, is there any way to troubleshoot it further.

Well I'm tapped out. I would probably put it into another chassis with a different power supply, but without those I don't have any other suggestions beyond calling Rockwell Tech Support.

OG