Understanding Logix 500 tags with panelview plus HMI

psycho1o1

I am working with a Micrologix 1400 and a PanelView plus Compact HMI. There are some HMI tags that are present in the HMI that is actively using following tags but I cant seems to find those tags in PLC logic. I am new to these plc and HMI and I will appreciate any help. Thank you

What is the diffarnce between addressing a tag like this [SPMXR]B12/0 vs
::[SPMXR]B12/380
1.png

2.png

To answer your question "why is this decimal while the HMI tag is digital (boolean)" -- it is decimal because you have decimal selected to display it in. If you want it to show in boolean, use the Radix dropdown and select that.

By having the Radix as decimal, you view the data file as words rather than individual bits. Depending on what you use the data file for this may be desirable.

To answer your question "why is this decimal while the HMI tag is digital (boolean)" -- it is decimal because you have decimal selected to display it in. If you want it to show in boolean, use the Radix dropdown and select that.

By having the Radix as decimal, you view the data file as words rather than individual bits. Depending on what you use the data file for this may be desirable.
Thank you for replying. But there is no B12/0 on Binary radix. Its B12:0/1 to 16. The HMI tags mentioned uses Binary.

Thank you for replying. But there is no B12/0 on Binary radix. Its B12:0/1 to 16. The HMI tags mentioned uses Binary.
What I want to do is that use above mentioned boolean variable in the HMI as a XIC in the PLC program to do some logic. That HMI variable has to be a boolan because its used as a multistate indicator using following logic to get state 1, 2 and 3.
"{M871_ON_IN_MANUAL} + ({M871_ON_IN_AUTO}*2) + ({M871_IN_ALARM}*3)"
3.png

B12/0 is the first bit in the file. B12:0/0 is the first bit in the first word in the file. They are different ways of addressing the same bit.

As another example B12/380 is the 381st bit in the file, but can also be addressed as B12:23/12, the 13th bit in the 23rd word.

I believe there is a setting somewhere to change which format Logix displays as in the data file, but both ways of addressing the bits will work.

The ladder logic will accept either format -- you can just put in B12/0 directly.

Last edited:
B12/0 is the first bit in the file. B12:0/0 is the first bit in the first word in the file. They are different ways of addressing the same bit.

As another example B12/380 is the 381st bit in the file, but can also be addressed as B12:23/12, the 13th bit in the 23rd word.

I believe there is a setting somewhere to change which format Logix displays as in the data file, but both ways of addressing the bits will work.

The ladder logic will accept either format -- you can just put in B12/0 directly.
Wow, that make sense. Thank you so much. I've been scratching my head all day.:)

Just to stir the pot a bit more:

B12/
= B12:0/
= B12:1/[Im16]*
= B12:2/[Im32]*
= B12:[Ihi]/[Ilo]

Where

• Im16 = I - 16
  • Im32 = I - 32
  • Ihi = (I AND 07F0h) / 16
  • Ilo = I AND 000Fh
  • AND is a bitwise-AND operator.

* These may not work if I is less than 16 or 32

In RSLogix right click on an empty area in the ladder window and select Properties

Click the Address tab and check the Binary Bit Display as /Bit and RSLogix will then display the addresses as they are written in the PV.

EDIT: If you want to print the report with this numbering you have to go to Report Options and set it there, as the display and reports use 2 different settings.

Capture2.JPG

EDIT: If you want to print the report with this numbering you have to go to Report Options and set it there, as the display and reports use 2 different settings.
OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:light-bulb:

How have I been missing that all this time?

"The computer cares not a whit ..."

:ROFLMAO: