slc 5/04 channel 0 rs-232 problem

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys. Reacently i have tryed to upload a program from one of our equipmet that has a slc 5/04 and a panelview 600 connected to chanell 0 rs 232. I unploged the cable connected to the panelview from the processor and conected my programing cable to channnel 0.

*Now whan i tried to establish connection (RSLINX) i would get a error message No connection established.

*Next i would have to restart my computer in order to clear the fault, because the pc would freeze.

*But the pc would not reboot it would just come up with error messages. I left the pc sitting for about a day and on start up it would reboot and work ok.

*So i went to be a hero and tryed to connect to the processor again. Same thing as discribed above same problem with the pc and the error meassages. Well you know what they say third time is a charm. But i do not want to fry my pc so i just left it alone.

Any ideas why i cant establish connectiion to this processor any why it would do this to my pc ??? Can the channel 0 be configured to DH+. Thanks for your help

Can you give us the type number of the Panel view.
Is it a standard PV or a PV plus.
The code number of the cable used from the PV to the SLC 5/04.
The code number of the cable you used from the SLC 5/04 to your PC.
Do you have a real serial port on your PC, or did you use a USB to serial adapter, and if so brand name.

The SLC5/04's serial port could be configured for DH485. And if the PV is a standard PV then the cable from the PV to the SLC is probably a straight thru cable. You would need a null-modem cable to connect your PC to the SLC.

That's why if you answer all of Gil47's questions the forum can guide you from there.

2711P
Is it a standard PV or a PV plus
PV Plus
2711-nc13

Its a AB Brand i do not have it with me i will update
Do you have a real serial port on your PC, or did you use a USB to serial adapter, and if so brand name
Its a AB Brand i do not have it with me i will update

2711P
Is it a standard PV or a PV plus
PV Plus
2711-nc13

2711-NC13 is a straight thru cable. You need a null-modem cable to connect your PC to the SLC5/04. 1747-CP3 (AB number). Any three wire null-modem cable will do.

Its important to know the catalog number of your USB to serial adapter.
Also the port on your PV and your SLC could be configured for DH485. If you have the offline file for your SLC then take a look at its port configuration. If you can check the port configuration of your PV.

In Rslinx what driver did you use
A screen shot would be handy to give us all the details.

Are the PLC and the PV near each other or is there some distance between them
I am just trying to eliminate DH485 as its not the standard comms but is an add on comms that is available.

Can you get online to the SLC 5/04 thru DH+

micky i do not have a file for the slc. The usb adapter is a ab brand 1747-USBS I might be mistaking i do not have it here with me

micky i do not have a file for the slc. The usb adapter is a ab brand 1747-USBS I might be mistaking i do not have it here with me

AB has a 9300-USBS which is a USB to Serial adapter for DF1 protocol.
AB also has a 1747-UIC which is a USB to DH485 converter and can only be used if the devices connect to it e.g. SLC has been configured for DH485 protocol. The UIC is very often confused for a USB to Serial adapter.
That's why I ask.

Gentelmen pardon me please he is a update

2711-B6C5L1 SER.C FRN4.46 (NOT A PV+) PANELVIEW600
Is it a standard PV or a PV plus.
STANDARD PV
2711-NC13
1747-CP3
Do you have a real serial port on your PC, or did you use a USB to serial adapter, and if so brand name.
9300-USBS