RSLogix program is not executing in CompactLogix

ksa858

I am using a CompactLogix system wit the following rack I/O configuration from left to right:
L30ER
1769-PA2
1769-HSC
1769-IA16
1769-IA16
1769-OW8I
1769-OW8I
1769-OW8I

I am online with the system but none of the inputs or outputs execute. The tags in the database match the tags in the program. Do the high speed counter module or power supply need to be in a specific location on the rack to read correctly?

do you have a 1769-ECR "end cap" installed on the right end of the rack? ... it won't work without that ...

and make sure that ALL of the little white "latches" at the tops of the modules are moved FULLY to the left ...

Last edited:
Yes, the 1769-ECR end cap is installed on the right end of the rack. I just went back and released all of the latches at the top of the modules and confirmed that they are fully to the left. Still no go.

and I know that you said so - but are you absolutely SURE that you are ONLINE - (communicating with the processor with RSLogix5000) ??? ... and with the correct processor? ... no offense, but I've seen cases where the technician is simply looking at the wrong processor over a network connection ...

and it's JSR (not JMP) - but regardless, that shouldn't keep the inputs from registering in the data tables ... and it wouldn't keep the "green on the screen" indications for the INPUTS from changing ...

is there a chance that someone has "inhibited" the modules - tor testing, etc. ??? ... what are the OK LEDs on the front of the modules doing? ...

depending on your version of RSLogix5000, you might have to Right-Click on the "CompactBus Local" icon in your I/O Configuration table - then check under Properties to make sure that the entire bus ("rack") hasn't been inhibited ...

Last edited:
maybe we're just having a failure to communicate here ...

can you tell us exactly what you meant when you said:

I am online with the system but none of the inputs or outputs execute.

and this:

The tags in the database match the tags in the program.

are the "green on the screen" indications changing when you change the status of the INPUT DEVICES (switches, etc.) in the FIELD? ...

I'm thinking that you mean that the ONE and ZERO status of the INPUT bit/boxes isn't changing to match what the field devices are doing ...

or did you mean something else by the word "executing" ? ...

"I am online with the system but none of the inputs or outputs execute" means when I go online with the processor the left side rung is green.
The L30ER status leds are as follows:
RUN---SOLID GREEN
FORCE---OFF
I/O---SOLID GREEN
OK---SOLID GREEN
NS---SOLID GREEN
LINK---SOLID GREEN

The input status never changes in the project when I input from a field device even though the input status led on the input card itself does change.

I right clicked on 1769-BUS and then selected the DISCOVER MODULES tab.
There are red flags by each of the input and output modules that say DISCOVERED MODULE DOES NOT MATCH THE MODULE IN THE PROJECT. The modules INHIBIT MODULE box is unchecked.
When I configured the I/O for the project I selected the same input output cards that are being used in the rack.

To amplify on Ron's question
and I know that you said so - but are you absolutely SURE that you are ONLINE - (communicating with the processor with RSLogix5000) ??? ... and with the correct processor? ... no offense, but I've seen cases where the technician is simply looking at the wrong processor over a network connection ...

Are you connected through a network? If so try connecting directly into the processor. Verify that you are not communicating to another processor oln the network.

be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with this - but if you move the processor's KEYSWITCH between RUN - and - REM (Remote) does the indication in the top left corner of the RSLogix5000 screen change to match? ...

if you do this correctly, you can make SURE that you're online with the CORRECT processor ...

analogy:

I'm working on a receptacle in my house ... how do I know (for a FACT) that breaker #13 in the panel actually does feed this receptacle? ... one way to test is to turn the circuit breaker on and off and see if the receptacle goes on and off to match ...

you can use the processor's keyswitch to accomplish the same type of thing - just remember that you might be starting and stopping a piece of industrial equipment when you flip that switch ...

Last edited:
so then - when you turn the keyswitch to different positions, the legend at the top left corner of the screen (Run - Remote Run - Remote Program - Program) actually DOES change to reflect the current switch position ... ??? ... correct ... ??? ...

can you post your ACD program file? ... you'll have to zip it first - forum rule ...

I moved the processors KEYSWITCH from REM to RUN. Yes, I can see that status change in the top left corner of the RSLOGIX 5000 screen.