Explorer rendering glitch in old FactoryTalk View ME

cfan

This is admittedly a pretty obscure problem, but maybe someone else has run into it, or at least something similar. For reasons I won't get into, I'm running an extremely old version (5.00, to be specific) of Rockwell Automation's FactoryTalk View ME, with a similarly old version of RSLinx Enterprise, on Windows 11. Everything installed and activated with relatively little drama. Unfortunately, when I try to open (or create) an application, the Explorer panel goes a bit crazy before eventually becoming almost completely blank, as shown below.

A fully populated FTME explorer tree flashes multiple times before all text disappears and the expand/collapse buttons turn dark gray.

This happens even when no errors are logged in the diagnostics pane (the OPC server error does not appear for all applications), so I'm kind of puzzled and can't think of any other possible causes. I've tried launching it in XP compatibility mode, but that doesn't help. The display editor works normally, as does the application test/export and everything else I tried. I would prefer not to have to go back to XP, although I can live with it if it's necessary at the end of the day. Before I go crazy with debugging, has anyone else ever seen this UI problem and managed to solve it? If so, how?

Thanks!

Rockwell has a Tech Note on a similar issue related to some tools installed on HP computers. Not sure if you have an HP or not, but it says to remove the following items:
  • Device Access Manager for HP Protect tools
  • File Protect for HP Protect tools (coreshredder.exe)
  • HP Protect Tool Security Manager Suite
  • HP Backup and recovery manager
They describe some error messages and Windows crashing. They mention Windows XP, Win 7, and Server 2008. So perhaps Windows 11 has a similar issue but doesn't crash.

OG

Rockwell has a Tech Note on a similar issue related to some tools installed on HP computers. Not sure if you have an HP or not, but it says to remove the following items:
  • Device Access Manager for HP Protect tools
  • File Protect for HP Protect tools (coreshredder.exe)
  • HP Protect Tool Security Manager Suite
  • HP Backup and recovery manager
They describe some error messages and Windows crashing. They mention Windows XP, Win 7, and Server 2008. So perhaps Windows 11 has a similar issue but doesn't crash.

OG
Very interesting. Could you tell me where I can find that tech note? I'm using a Microsoft Surface laptop, so it doesn't immediately stand out as an obvious answer to my problem, but maybe I can get some additional insight from reading the original note and doing some research.