SLC-500 DeviceNet Scanner: Extract

S1ack

Customer has a circa 2004 SLC-500 PLC. Fieldbus is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet scanner. Customer has SLC-500 file (.rss) with no comments. Has no *.dnt file for RSNetWorx.

So is it possible with a recent vintage of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet to connect either via RSLinx through the CPU or via DeviceNet interface, to this fieldbus and extract the network configuration?

Project requires changing a single slave node.
No changing in data but a change in EDS file as old Eurotherm coming out and an HMS Anybus gateway going it's place.

TIA

See the manual -- if your SDN firmware is recent enough and its M files are correctly configured you can connect via CPU/backplane passthrough.

Note that this is *slow* and is intended for minor parameter adjustments, not substantial up/downloads; you may have issues with timeouts if you try to pull the whole network configuration (which you should since you don't have a .dnt file).

To directly connect to the network you'd want a 1784-U2DN usb to DeviceNet cable, and it's as pricey as you'd expect from a Rockwell product.

I've had no issues with RSNetworx of any remotely recent vintage connecting using either.

Thanks for the link, as well as the insight. I've asked the customer for pictures of the module label to know what series it is, as well as a video of it booting up to get the major & minor revs of FW.

Alot of times, when these DN networks are installed, the original 1770-KFD used to configure them are left in place for the customer to maintain and troubleshoot the network. The KFD is a serial to DN converter box that you can use to get online and suck out the configuration. Might ask the customer if there's a non descript white box plugged into the network.

Last edited:
The old 1747-PIC was a nondescript gray box with a ribbon cable and 25-pin serial port connector that connected PC RS-232 ports to Data Highway 485 networks.

The 1770-KFD is a smaller nondescript gray box with a DB9 serial port one one side and a DeviceNet socket on the other, which allows you to connect directly to the network with RSLinx Classic.

The most important thing to know about this process is that "Uploading" reads the parameters and settings and object values from the devices into the RSNetworx for DeviceNet project.

"Downloading" is the other way around. If you connect with an empty RSNetworx project, browse the devices to show their identities in the network schema, then click "Download" (and don't read the warning message) then you can write default values (including an empty scanlist) to all the things in the network.

The old 1747-PIC was a nondescript gray box with a ribbon cable and 25-pin serial port connector that connected PC RS-232 ports to Data Highway 485 networks.

The 1770-KFD is a smaller nondescript gray box with a DB9 serial port one one side and a DeviceNet socket on the other, which allows you to connect directly to the network with RSLinx Classic.

The most important thing to know about this process is that "Uploading" reads the parameters and settings and object values from the devices into the RSNetworx for DeviceNet project.

"Downloading" is the other way around. If you connect with an empty RSNetworx project, browse the devices to show their identities in the network schema, then click "Download" (and don't read the warning message) then you can write default values (including an empty scanlist) to all the things in the network.

Yes, KFD...amended my post to avoid confusion. Mine is definitely white, tho...must have lost its grey over 30 years ;)

Alot of times, when these DN networks are installed, the original 1770-KFD used to configure them are left in place for the customer to maintain and troubleshoot the network. The KFD is a serial to DN converter box that you can use to get online and suck out the configuration. Might ask the customer if there's a non descript white box plugged into the network.

Who are these OEM/Integrators that leave such stuff behind?
I did plenty of systems integration work in the past and we never left things like that behind on Rockwell stuff. Too expensive.

But I will ask.

Project has at least 2 OEM upgrades, and a system integrator upgrade on it as this point. There are 4 sets of schematics. Good times.

Showing my age here, but the -PIC is something that rings a bell.

In any case, up and down in this context jibes with my own expectation(s).

Of course, my current employer will have me doing this all through a VMWare virtual machine. Always fun with old stuff.