Slc 500 software & Siemens plc question

James Mcquade

Everyone,

i am in the process of purchasing the Slc 500 version of software to support what we have and i have a question. Several of our systems has control net and devicenet cards, panelview terminals, and other items.
Does the standard version of slc 500 work on these units or do i need the professional version? also, does the professional version allow for structured text, function blocks, vb coding, and other formats that are not in the standard version? I have no idea what is in these plc's and i don't want to buy 2 sets of software.

i am also needing a Siemens plc to place on our wall so we can learn the programming. is the SP1200 unit and some i/o cards a good choice to learn on? we have the tia portal version 16,17, and 18 version of software.
Also, what software is needed for their hmi terminals?

thanks in advance,
james

Short answer - No.

RSLogix only programs the SLC and ML PLC's. For ControlNet and DeviceNet you need RSNetWorx for DeviceNet and RSNetWorx for ControlNet, also for Ethernet.

For the PanelView you need PanelBuilder32 and a XP PC or VM. For PV+ you need FactoryTalk View Machine Edition.

RSLogix500 only programs in ladder logic, no FB, ST, STL, VB - the professional version includes extra features outside of the ladder programming. [Offline simulator, etc]

For Seimen's HMI's the software is WinCC_Flexible

Last edited:
See this post for a breakdown of features what the 'professional' version of RSLogix 500 will get you that standard doesn't have... on the other hand iirc it does come with RSNetworx for CNet, DNet, and ENet included; since it sounds like you will need two of those you may want to compare the price for 'Standard + DNet Networx + CNet Networx' vs 'Professional' even if the extra features of the Pro version aren't desirable.

For the PanelView you need PanelBuilder32 and a XP PC or VM. For PV+ you need FactoryTalk View Machine Edition.

The name 'PanelView' has been attached to enough different lines that I would get model #s before looking to get software -- since the PLC is a SLC we can rule out the PanelView 5500 line, but even beyond the current PanelView Plus lines that use FTVME and the older PanelView Standard that require PanelBuilder32 there were even older models that required their own PanelBuilder versions (PanelBuilder 1200, PanelBuilder 1400e...).

With a SLC 500-vintage cell I'd guess you've got standard PanelView requiring PanelBuilder32, but better to check. If they are, the model # will also tell you what communication options you have for programming them. If you're going to need to order a 1747-UIC to connect via DH-485, now's probably the time you want to find out.

As a side note I have no issues running PanelBuilder32 on the same 64-bit Windows 10 install I use for Logix and PVP programming

As a side note I have no issues running PanelBuilder32 on the same 64-bit Windows 10 install I use for Logix and PVP programming

I have seen others here say the same thing - they have PanelBuilder32 running on Win10, but out of 3 Win10 laptops and over a dozen PC's I have tried it on I never have been able to run it outside a XP VM.

I keep getting the "Not a valid windows program" popup no matter what compatibility settings I set.

For PB32 I have a XP laptop I keep in good running condition

I have seen others here say the same thing - they have PanelBuilder32 running on Win10, but out of 3 Win10 laptops and over a dozen PC's I have tried it on I never have been able to run it outside a XP VM.

I keep getting the "Not a valid windows program" popup no matter what compatibility settings I set.

For PB32 I have a XP laptop I keep in good running condition
Do you know what version you are running? I am running version 03.83.01 (Build 7). If you've got the same, then I'm out of ideas on why you can't get it to work.

i am also needing a Siemens plc to place on our wall so we can learn the programming. is the SP1200 unit and some i/o cards a good choice to learn on? we have the tia portal version 16,17, and 18 version of software.
Also, what software is needed for their hmi terminals?

S7-1200s are pretty good. They are very comparable to their sibling the 1500s in usability. There are some limitations, like not supporting OPC UA Client (still can be a server tho) and not supporting the PLC based alarming concept/system diagnostics that the 1500 has. They also approach motion slightly differently, targeting stepper motors instead of VFD/servo systems; the setup/usability is similar, just the HW interface has different expectations. Largely, though they get programmed the same, and code you write in a 1200 should port over to a 1500. Just less speed/ram for less $$.

For the HMI, it depends which HMI you want. It's all in TIA, it's just a matter of which license level you need. What do you currently have?

The cheaper Basic line is covered by WinCC Basic, but the license is bundled into the Step 7 license for the PLCs. The main Comfort line needs WinCC Comfort (which includes basic as well). They also have a new Unified family, which has the same license structure (again, still in TIA).

For Seimen's HMI's the software is WinCC_Flexible

WinCC Flexible is at least a decade out of current, FYI. They kept the WinCC term around as just a general brand for HMI software.

Proposal works tells me that RSLogix 500 Standard Edition plus the RSNetwox bundle would be cheaper. The other goodies that come with Pro are not worth the money in my opinion and Starter Edition is a non-starter for me.

Also, I run Panelbuilder 32 v3.83 on my windows 10 machine with no trouble. I don't recall having any trouble installing it either, but may have run the installer in compatibility mode. I don't remember. The only issue is when trying to transfer an application using a too new version of RSLinx Classic for which a workaround exists that can be found on this forum.

rs500 plus networx.png

Last edited:
Wait a minute

I guess I picked the wrong version of RS500 pro. I was second guessing that price and found another one. It would help if there weren't 75 different options. This version has "8x5 support". I think the other one included 24x7 support.

rs500 pro.png

Do you know what version you are running? I am running version 03.83.01 (Build 7). If you've got the same, then I'm out of ideas on why you can't get it to work.

Yes, I have the v3.83.01 Build 7 installer, but it will not run on any Win10 device for me. I do have an older installation, but it seems every time I connect to a PV I get a popup it needs the newer version.

OkiePC,
I have tried installing in compatibility mode and setting compatibility for the program, but it still never runs directly in Win10 for me.

Fortunately I have no need for it at home and only use it when on location with my laptop, so having a XP laptop in my bundle of laptops isn't a problem - I also have other software that requires XP on it. Plus frequently I find having the PLC software and the HMI software on separate laptops is easier to jump between when I have to make updates to both together.

thanks everyone.

i don't need the simulator for SLC 500. i just need to debug the programs
while we get someone to upgrade the systems to compact logix or control logix.
so i will get the Standard version of logix 500 without support.
i have been using logix 500 for years.

the panelview terminals are panelview plus and i have the software.

in regards to the Siemens plc, i will see what is in the plant and use the one i purchase as a spare.
regards,
james

Last edited: