Profinet Device Names

tim2

Using Siemens PLCs, specifically ET200Pro, what is the "proper" way to assign IP addresses and Profinet device names to the device. Is it the Edit Ethernet node function in the SIMATIC Manager, or is it the Primary Setup Tool software?

I was initially under the impression you had to use the Primary Setup Tool software and recently found the Edit Ethernet node function. Any other methods that you are aware of?

Not asking about the configuration of the name and IP address in the project, but actually in the devices memory.

My personal preference is for the PST, when I'm just doing one device, but both are definitely considered "proper".

There is another method as well, that I like to use for setting the device names for all the IO in a system. In the HW Config, select the profinet network, then choose from the upper menu PLC, Ethernet, and then choose Verify or Assign Device name. It is a convenient chart allowing you to assign device names across the network from one place, and it can automatically cross reference the types of IO devices you have and the names assigned in the project. It won't highlight an error like switching "Device 1" with "Device 2", but it will show nodes without names assigned and things like that. Once the devices have a name assigned, the PLC should automatically assign the IP address, per the HW config downloaded into it.