PowerFlex 525 unrecognized in RSlinx

nmk34

I set the IP address of the powerflex 525 with imbedded ethernet port manual at the keypad. RSLINX does not recognize the drive. The drive lists on the name plate firmware 7.001. Yes I tried to flash it using control flash 15.07, but the flash says complete but still i can see the drive with yellow ?. Yes, i went to rockwell and downloaded the firmware ver 7.001 and 6.?? several times., the result the same. I read on this forum of somebody that had same problem and end up flashing firmware 6 and that solved his problem. Control flash does not see the firmware ver 6 but only sees ver 7.001. I tried to manually copy the eds files to the locations where control flash points to, but still only sees ver 7.001.how can I flash the drive with firmware ver. 6? to see if this works.
when i try to upload the eds file from the drive in rslinx, it shows complete but still has a yellow ?

Most likely, the reason this worked for the previous person was simply because they had the EDS files for a v6 drive, but not a v7 drive. Obtaining and installing the correct EDS files is significantly easier than flashing firmware, and that should be your approach too.

I've had about a 2% success rate with uploading EDS files from devices; I almost always have to download and install them manually. They can be downloaded from the Rockwell PCDC, and then you need to use the EDS Hardware Installation Tool to register them with Linx.

Also, make sure you set the IP address to static and power cycle the drive after setting the IP address.

Please tell more about the EDS tool you used? is it ControlFlash(ver 15.07)? which ver? This is the one i am using with little success.

It's actually called the EDS Hardware Installation Tool. It's installed along with RSLinx and is the tool used to actually install your EDS files after you download them.

Typically it's in the start menu at \Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Tools, but all I ever do to find it is click start and type EDS - it's the first thing to pop up.

ControlFlash, on the other hand, is a software tool used to flash firmware on various hardware devices. It doesn't have anything to do with EDS files.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 9.15.15 am.png

I typically right click on the ip address in linx and upload EDS from device. That usually cleans up the issues for me.

Allen Bradley installed the wrong version EDS file on the firmware revision 7.0 powerflex 525 drives. Upload the EDS file and save it in a location that you can remember. Edit the file and change the firmware version from 6 to 7 in this eds file and save. You should then be able to use the EDS installation tool to install the modified EDS file and Linx will then recognise the drive.