Need help connecting to SLC 5/04 - should be simple

I have three 5/04 PLCS sitting in front of me. I also have a few serial cables with gender changers and null adaptors.

I'm trying to connect through the serial port on my laptop to one of these 5/04s(although I've tried this on all of them, with none working, so I think it's something wrong with what I'm doing, not the PLCS).

I configured a new DF1 driver in RSLinx Classic, COM 1, SLC CH0, then hit auto config. Now when I tried with just the straight serial cable, it gets stuck on the error checking verification, so I assumed I needed the null adaptor.
After attaching the null adaptor, and hitting auto config, it will go through all of the baud settings, then finish with the error: "Failed to find the baud and parity! Check all cables and switch settings"

I've had this problem in the field before and all I needed to do was use a null modem cable, or a null adaptor, however this time I don't know what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Do you have the offline file for this SLC? If so check the channel configuration, it could be configured for DH485.
Is this SLC controlling a real machine or just on the bench for testing.
You can clear the memory and put the SLC back to factory default settings
( see PDF below) this will put the serial port back to DF1 protocol.
The null modem cable is the one to use. ( double check it is a null modem cable)
Also make sure nothing else is trying to use the comm port.

I looked at the offline file and it looks like they're configured for DH485. These are bench testers. The comm port is good, I have checked.

Every time I try to open that PDF file, it freezes up my computer. I'm using adobe 8.1

Do I just pull out the CPU module and pop the battery out? The little cream coloured, cylindrical one?

Also, why would these have been configured with DH 485? There is only the DH+ port, a prog term port and the RS 232 port(which is the only one that I have the capability to connect to).

See Pics below.
If you have a real serial port you can use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in Rslinx.

SLCClear1.jpg

SLCClear2.jpg

please confirm:

you killed the memory EXACTLY as per the instructions Mickey posted ...

then you set up a DF1 driver in RSLinx ...

you used a null-modem cable ...

and you used the AutoConfigure feature in RSLinx ...

the AutoConfigure was "unsuccessful" ...

if all of that is correct, then something is VERY wrong ... you should be talking ...

PS Edit:

make sure that there's no EEPROM chip installed in the SLC-5/04 ... that could be "reloading" the old (DH-485) setup whenever you restart the system ...

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to wipe the memory.

If the processors are all set for DH485, you will need to use the PIC driver in RSLinx.

To do that, you will need a real serial port (not USB to serial adaptor). Then follow these steps:
1) Connect null modem cable between PC and CPU
2) Delete or Stop DF1 driver in RSLinx.
3) Add New 1747-PIC/AIC driver (Default comms settings are usually OK)

Let us know how it goes.

Ron Beaufort said:
please confirm:

you killed the memory EXACTLY as per the instructions Mickey posted ...

then you set up a DF1 driver in RSLinx ...

you used a null-modem cable ...

and you used the AutoConfigure feature in RSLinx ...

the AutoConfigure was "unsuccessful" ...

if all of that is correct, then something is VERY wrong ... you should be talking ...

PS Edit:

make sure that there's no EEPROM chip installed in the SLC-5/04 ... that could be "reloading" the old (DH-485) setup whenever you restart the system ...

Yes all of that is correct and it still doesn't work. I will look to see if there's an EEPROM chip in there.

Is there any other way to connect. There are three terminals on the CPU: DH+ which is a funny 3 prong connector that I haven't seen around. There's a prog terminal which is a round 8 pin connector. How do you use that one?

There are three terminals on the CPU: DH+ which is a funny 3 prong connector that I haven't seen around. There's a prog terminal which is a round 8 pin connector. How do you use that one?

the three pin and the round one are ELECTRICALLY CONNECTED TOGETHER ... they both are for DH+ and you'd need a special card to use either one of those ... PM me with your phone number if you want me to talk you through this ... I'll be online for about another hour ...

Ok I got it to work with the PIC driver on two of the PLCS. Both of those PLCS have the RS232 LED on. The one PLC that doesn't work only has the DH+ light flashing.

Now how should I have the channel 0 and channel 1 configured in "Channel config" in the RSLogix 500 program.

When I tried to download the first time it said that I will lose communication on both channels. I applied now I can't go online.

What did you donwload? Check your port confiuration of the downloaded file.
If it is different then what you used to download then it is nornal to get
that message about losing communication. If the new configuration is DF1
protocol then change RSLinx back to DF1. Delete the PIC driver first.
You may have to shutdown RsLinx and restart after the PIC driver is deleted.

Post the downloaded file (.RSS)if you can. ( zip it then post)

Last edited:
to answer your earlier question the db9 port is often reprogrammed to hook up other devices such as barcode scannners etc this is where you need to look at the port setup in your program