Help with online edit of SLC 500, HELP!!!!

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Do I was able to configure a driver and get online with the plc and found an original program error from 1995 which they would have never noticed because this blower motor always ran. What the guy did was accidentally tie in the decant pump running feedback fail timed with a different motor and now the motor is decommissioned.

So now I need to get in there and change that timer address. I can't seem to do this online, im used to the double click edit and begin online edits or hit right click and begin edits. Nothing happens when I double click or if I right click all I can do is edit rung comment and title. I do nit have the prgroam from this routine but a paper copy. I'm currently online in remote run, so I have to be in program mode to do edits then down load?

That worries me downloading when I do not have a program for this PLC program and I don't want to wipe the processor.

PLEASE HELP!

I do not believe this model of SLC 500 has a key switch. Either that or I cannot find it. I did save a copy of this program to my laptop so if I some how wipe the processor I have a spare ready to download.

If you're online you have a copy when you do a save-as. Make your change and download when safe to do so.

You did not specify the model you are working with. Some of the older processors would not allow online edits, like the 5/01.

So now I need to get in there and change that timer address. I can't seem to do this online, im used to the double click edit and begin online edits or hit right click and begin edits. Nothing happens when I double click or if I right click all I can do is edit rung comment and title.

Some of those old models may not support online editing. What version of RSLogix are you using. Starter Edition doesn't allow online editing.

... so I have to be in program mode to do edits then down load?

Yes

That worries me downloading when I do not have a program for this PLC program...

Sure you do. While online, just save as a new filename, upload all data files when asked and you have everything that is in there running. Next, save again with a different filename. Make your edits offline, save again, download and you should be good to go and you can always dump the original back in there if you hit a snag.

Last edited:
It probably is a SLC 500 or 5/01; no Online Edits.

Shut the system off (turn off the equipment); Upload the application file (with Data Values if prompted); Save As 'My Application'; go Offline; edit the application as intended; Save; Download to the CPU; switch to Run Mode; turn equipment ON.

Paul beat me...:D

It probably is a SLC 500 or 5/01; no Online Edits.

Shut the system off (turn off the equipment); Upload the application file (with Data Values if prompted); Save As 'My Application'; go Offline; edit the application as intended; Save; Download to the CPU; switch to Run Mode; turn equipment ON.

Paul beat me...:D

You added something important which I thought of after the fact. Stopping the equipment so that your saved copy is in a known safe state is good advice. It can be spooky when you download a program and a machine suddenly starts running because it was "in auto" and hammering away when you saved it.

Awesome, thanks for all the quality advice. I now have a copy of the program and am now filling in the descriptors with the paper copy of the program. I was right in my assumption that the original programming error was a the culprit.

I'm so used to RSLogix 5 or 5000 with online edits, make you appreciate it when you don't have it! The waste water plant is back up and running, was a battle connecting to the PLC as well, luckily I had a PCMK card and the adapter cord to go from PCMK to DH-485.

Thanks again for all your quick replies,

This is why I love this site and support it as much as I can.

Regards,

Brian

You added something important which I thought of after the fact. Stopping the equipment so that your saved copy is in a known safe state is good advice. It can be spooky when you download a program and a machine suddenly starts running because it was "in auto" and hammering away when you saved it.

I am more afraid of complete silence when the place was running and someone decided to download to the CPU...The Sound of Silence...:D...