Emergency Stop reset Siemens

John Lee

Hi need help why this “failure 5 emergency stop “ appears at every startup in the morning ?

Have to shut off main switch at least 10 times on and off because it is not “clearing the failure and the machine won’t run.

We have all the “emergency stop buttons tested and are good this is everyday

Power on and off over 10 times then finally releases the clear on reset button

Any info please help

Hi need help why this “failure 5 emergency stop “ appears at every startup in the morning ?

Have to shut off main switch at least 10 times on and off because it is not “clearing the failure and the machine won’t run.

We have all the “emergency stop buttons tested and are good this is everyday

Power on and off over 10 times then finally releases the clear on reset button

Any info please help

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 41
This is not a Siemens problem per se. Switching things off and on again isn't really getting to the root cause. It seems more likely that there is an issue with your e-stop relay or the wiring thereof - maybe check the resistance of the circuit around the buttons? dirty contacts can increase the resistance. Have you monitoroed Input 32.0 as is suggested?

Unfortunately no one has seems like because this comes from Germany they are afraid to do anything to it.

All they did was go around the machine and test the 4 different emergency stop buttons which were all good.

But this has been going on for months already and getting worse I have to turn off and on about 10-15 times then it finally releases it

Manglemender is right. Check for dirty/loose contacts on your switches and at the relay. Sounds like your A and B inputs aren't synchronized.

Check for loose wires on the A1 and B1 channels. Also check everything else connected to that part of the circuit.

Next time you have the fault, try tapping on the front of the safety relay with a screwdriver to see if the fault will reset. Relay contacts might be going bad too.

Everything feels tight , I am a novice at this part of it but trying to figure it out since no one else wants to.

But definitely agree with being dirty and messing up contact.

How can I test the wires going into the relay ?

Or test the relay itself ?

Please

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
Everything feels tight , I am a novice at this part of it but trying to figure it out since no one else wants to.

But definitely agree with being dirty and messing up contact.

Please
When the input channel lights are green, that means the signal going to the relay is good- sounds like the e-stop push button circuits are OK. The relay contacts need to make continuity in order to reset the circuit. This would be internal to the relay; no direct way to measure it with a meter.

Next time it won't reset, give it a light tap and if it resets without a power cycle, that will narrow it down to the safety relay itself being the problem. Hopefully this helps!

Unfortunately no one has seems like because this comes from Germany they are afraid to do anything to it.

All they did was go around the machine and test the 4 different emergency stop buttons which were all good.

But this has been going on for months already and getting worse I have to turn off and on about 10-15 times then it finally releases it
Sounds like you need some better maintenance people. An old customer of mine had an intermittent tension control problem with an old embosser making holograms. He had "his mate" look at the problem 6 times because he thought I was too expensive; he didn't fix it but he did charge every time. I fixed his machine in 30 minutes and only charged him once.

Ok thank you very much everyone greatly appreciate the knowledge, we have a massive order to run and no one where I work wants to dive deeper 😕

Please
Start by testing the two channels of the e-stop circuit.

With the system powered down, measure the resistance around the two e-stop channels: S11 - S12 and S21 to S22 (you may need ot remove one end to measure).

Also, If you have a spare e-stop relay, change it out. If you don't have a spare, get one.

Another possibility is that the checkback circuit has a problem. This circuit (Y1 - Y2) confirms that all contactors have dropped out before a reset is permitted. A poor connection/dirty contact in this circuit might also cause you a problem. If both input channels or Ok but the unit will not reset then take a look at teh checkback circuit.