Dynamic Tag Addressing Via Pointers in WinCC Felx

Rusty_K

Hey Guys!

Wondering if anyone here knows if it's possible to address area blocks in a PLC via pointers in WinCC Flexible. I need to transfer a large amount of data between WinCC Flex, running on a PC, and a Siemens S7-315 CPU. The reason of course is to limit the amount of tags I need (hence saving some $$$) and to also reduce the transfer time) I've been told this is possible in WinCC but haven't found any documentation on how to do it as of yet. Obviously my other option is to build a transfer sequence where the PLC reads a certain amount of data from fixed tags, stores the data and the requests the WinCC Flex system to update the same tags with newer data etc..

Any ideas?

Cheers!

R.K.

As always: What is it that you want to ACHIEVE ?

Anyway, it sounds like you need to use ARRAY tags.

and by the way: Exactly how much data, and exactly which CPU ?

Last edited:
Rusty_K said:
Hey Guys!
I need to transfer a large amount of data between WinCC Flex, running on a PC, and a Siemens S7-315 CPU. The reason of course is to limit the amount of tags I need (hence saving some $$$) and to also reduce the transfer time).

I made the same task using InduSoft quite easily. I has it in both version - PC and PDA. I will share it with you if you want.

Hello!

Sorry for the delayed response. Have been away for the last 2 weeks.

Jesper:

What I want to achieve: Fast transfer of data between WiCCFlex and S7-300 CPU while minimizing task usage

Amount of data: This has not yet been clearly defined and will most likely vary. We are reading robot position (Point and rotation co-ordinates: X,Y,Z,RX,RY,RZ) from a CSV file via WinCC Flex. (The number of robot positions are what is most likely to vary). We then want to transfer this data (Each element of the position data being of data type: Float) to the PLC.

PLC Used: S7-315 PN/DP

Zova:

I took a look at the InduSoft website..quite interesting! Yes, if you dont mind sharing it I would be curious to check it out!

Cheers!

R.K.

Array tags could be a solution.
However, the size of an Array is fixed. It cannot be modified at runtime.

A reasonably simple solution could be to size the array to the maximum possible. Then you can add information in the data about the net length of data, and in the PLC code ignore the unused data.

Thanks Zova, I give that a gander!

Thanks Jesper, that's pretty much the direction I was heading in..will start trying to code all this tomorrow!

Cheers!