ControlLogix: Dumb Question: Searching Tags

Colt Hero

Is there any way to stop a search from finding a text string inside a sub-tag name.

For example: if I'm searching for "run" ... I only want to see the search find this string in the MAIN, or Top-Level, or "Parent" Tagname! I don't want the search burrowing into every single "Child", or sub-tag name (the DOT.DOT.DOT tagnames below the "parent" name), where of course this same text string exists!!!

How do you you turn this OFF??

If you get a VIP version ,it will do what you want.
But since you are not a PLC programmer, you can upgrade this for free. First saving the program to L5K and use notepad++ which has regular expression capability.

I don't see a way to do this in the Logix software. But as a suggestion, maybe try using cross-reference instead of Search/Find. But, sometimes Find is the only good option (like searching for text in a comment).

Cross Reference still shows the sub-elements of a structure, but I can easily see which is which and I get the Destructive column, which to me, is the most important item. I am almost always looking for the instruction that affects the tag (Y) rather than instructions that just look at the tag (N).

I think L33er is joking about the VIP version. I don't really get what he is saying.

OG

Last edited:
I think L33er is joking about the VIP version. I don't really get what he is saying.

Agree that he's probably joking about VIP version, especially given other recent posts of his.

Exporting to L5K and using something with more powerful search capabilities (such as regular expressions) should work, but seems to me like more of a hassle than it would be worth.

Operaghost, plvlce: Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure what you were referring to by "5LK" ... thought I was already running RSLogix 5000, but then saw the extension as a SAVE option (instead of ACD).

How would I normally use that "5LK" file ... just to import a PLC app into another programming environment? That's not a legitimate "program" or "app", correct? It's just a proprietary file format that only Rockwell understands? Do people routinely use this type of file in their everyday work?

Anyway ... I couldn't find what I was looking for. It's apparently not in there ... which is what I suspected. I tried several searches, several different ways ... and nothing!

Hey Colt,

The file format is actually .L5K.

Exporting to this format would allow you to view an application in plain text using a simple text editor like Windows Notepad. It can be a useful method to search for specific items and replace them. You can manipulate the contents of this text file and then go back to the Logix software and open the file. It will perform an import and create a new ACD file.

A downside is that there is no error checking in a text editor. If you make a mistake, you won't know until the import fails.

Some people write their own programs to create L5K files as a way to generate their own custom logic or tags.

OG

Operaghost:

Thanks for that background info. OK ... it's ".L5K" ... sorry.

Can't believe the SEARCH function does not work properly! How many years has Rockwell had to improve it? I can't think of any reason off-hand where you'd want the SEARCH function to burrow down into the Tag subnames. They're all identical! The SEARCH should be smart enough to skip them!

But OK ... at least I know of a workaround. Thanks!

====
Not sure what you mean by your last sentence.

"Some people write their own programs to create L5K files as a way to generate their own custom logic or tags"

What are these "programs" written in ... "C", or some other high-level language? And what advantage would there be to doing that? Are they circumventing some rigid rules that the RSLogix programming environment enforces, but cannot detect if you "import" the constructs?

Well the reverse may be true as well. I may not care where the parent is. I might be after just the sub elements but I'm too lazy to type out the full name of the sub element.

To be honest, in all my years using this software, I never noticed this to be an issue. But that's just one single user. Maybe others do find this an annoyance like you do.

OG

Maybe you already know this but: Look it up in your Control Tags not the search option.

The Search has a filter to limit where it searches. Can't remember all the choices but there's a button for search with in.

In the controller tags you can filter for only names, descriptions or both. It will not find elements of the tag. No matter what filter option you use. You can even type in multiple words, and it will find any tag containing one of the words entered.

cwal61: Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! See ... I was right! It *was* a dumb question! I think I see it now! I was using the global SEARCH (CTRL-F), but there's that "Show" and "Filter" box that doesn't burrow down into the subnames!

OK. Thanks!

Operaghost: all it takes is someone who doesn't know what they're doing ... to do something unusual and "uncover" an "issue" that isn't an issue at all for those who know what they're doing ... LOL!

Operaghost: all it takes is someone who doesn't know what they're doing ... to do something unusual and "uncover" an "issue" that isn't an issue at all for those who know what they're doing ... LOL!

Very true my friend. :) I didn't even think about the tag window. I was focused on searching the logic window.

OG