Compact Logix Reading From OPC

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have searched and searched, and can't find what I am looking for.

I have a Kepware OPC server, with the manufacturing suite license installed, so I think I should be able to do what I need.

Within the OPC server, I have various channels, ranging from Modbus, to Siemens and ControlLogix PLC's.

I am reading Data on all of the channels, from the PLC's and Modbus devices.

I now want to read some of this data back, either using a Panelview or using a ControlLogix PLC.

I believe that this is possible, but I can't find anything which really shows how to do it, or what drivers I need to setup.

Hoping someone here has already done this and can give me some pointers.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Christoff,

The first thing I would like to achieve is to read some values from a ModBus device (a power meter), and display this on a panelview.

I am reading the Modbus values in the OPC server, but I can't see how I can set up a shortcut to the OPC server in factorytalk.

I have been told by our Kepware distributor that this is possible with the manufacturing suite license that I have got, although they haven't told me how as yet.

It looks like the link you provided will allow me to talk PLC to PLC, but I really just need to access the tags in the OPC.

Cheers.

Mark

Mark:

Have you Installed your OPC inside Factorytalk Server ??

Your OPC server does not need to be installed on the same machine as FT Server.

But you can call it and make it part of FT.

Last edited:
Map the relevant Logix tags within the Kepserver Logix 'channel/device' and then create 'Link' type Advanced (Kepserver) Tags where the 'Input' is the data source Kepserver OPC tag and the 'Output' is the Logix intended data destination.

Data exchange will be implemented at the rate defined within the Advanced Tag definition or on a defined 'trigger'.

Widelto,

My OPC server is separate from any of the PLC's and HMI's.

Unfortunately the OPC server belongs to the IT department. It was originally purchased to get information into our ERP system, which it is doing wonderfully well.

I was hoping I could get some of the data down on to the shop floor, and maybe even use it to get data from our ERP.

Cheers

Mark

See attached files

Mark:

In my case this OPC Server is called Clarinet (from videojet), it is installed in another machine and I got data from this OPC server and I even capture some data and pass them towards one of my compactlogix plcs.

OPC  SERVER.png OPC  SERVER 2.png

You can add an OPC DA server into a FTME Project.

Point it at the OPC Server, you can then read all the tags on the OPC Server inside of FT and present to the screen.

With SE you can add either UA or DA but ME I think only does DA

Kepware is wonderfully easy, the tech support guys in the UK are really helpful too.

Thanks for all your help.

I can now see how its done.

However I now have another stumbling block.

The OPC server is on a completely different network to my automation network. I can ping the OPC server from the automation network, so I guess I'll have to have a walk over to see the IT guys.

Wish me luck.

Cheers

Mark