3-Wire Xmitters - Wiring Rqmts

jgruizinga

I've been tasked with adding a 3-wire pressure differential transmitter to a system and drawing up the wiring to an existing PLC board. The transmitter is a Veris PW Series, which is a 3-wire transmitter with a pos., neg., and signal. I'd like to set it up for 4-20mA output, but the existing drawing I have for the card I want to use only has pos. and neg. How is this generally accomplished when I have 3 conductors coming from the transmitter? I could pull power from the cabinet, but then I don't know how to send the signal to the control board.

I understand that this is probably very elementary for many of you, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the full model number of the transmitter? Some of those transmitters can be used as either 3-wire voltage output or 2-wire 4-20ma.

It's a Veris PWLX04S. The manual says: "Output: 3-wire transmitter; user-selectable 4-20mA/0-5V/0-10V". I didn't see anything in the manual that suggests it can be loop-powered, but I'm obviously not very experienced in instrumentation and controls.

If using 3 or 4 wire transmitter then the analogue input needs to be passive (i.e. no power from the card to the transmitter ) loop powered. 2 wire is where the power is fed via the loop from the card (active).

Here are some examples of each. You should be aware that some controller analog inputs share a single common (-) on all inputs on the I/O card.

transmitter types.png