Panelview convert PLC5 to Controllogix

Great Ken,

Thanks for the information.
I have some more work to do in the Panelview, to add a couple of windows, so I will probably just import the address corrected database, since it is already done.
By the way....did I convert the addresses correctly in the "new" database?

The original programmer of the PLC5 and Panelview did "some" things very nicely.
He actually did a map routine in the PLC5 to map addresses to the Panelview, so it is pretty easy to follow.
It just would have been nice if his address names made more sense though. It has been fun to try to figure out why he decided to name an address a certain way.

Last edited:
The good news is that this is a very efficient PanelView Plus application.

It addresses only six PLC-5 style data tables:

B53:0, Length 1
B73:0, Length 44
F78:0, Length 81
N67:0, Length 119
N77:0, Length 165

and one reference to String data table ST79. That can be re-addressed by hand.

It makes no references to Timer or Counter or Control sub-elements, so that's not an issue.

You can do this either way; make five entries in the Map PLC/SLC Addresses list, or do the re-import into FactoryTalk View ME.

I want to revisit testing the map instruction...
In "PLC 2,5 /500 Mapping" in Logix5000 for my Controllogix, it only shows File Number=Name, not length or colons.
I noticed there is already some mapping done. Like:
137=N137
138=F138

So would I use:
53=B53
73=B73
78=F78
67=N67
67=N77

If this is correct then does that mean I will have to do the mapping for every address to cover the length?

Last edited:
The lengths I listed were just from my reading of the PanelView Plus HMI tag database.

The Length of PLC/SLC data file that the ControlLogix emulates is determined by the length of the Array Tag.

If you make 77 = N77, then the array tag "N77[x]" should be at least 165 elements long.

If it were me, I'd make all of the PanelView Plus interface data files INT[256] or REAL[256] arrays. That most closely emulates the way data files work in the PLC/SLC.

The lengths I listed were just from my reading of the PanelView Plus HMI tag database.

The Length of PLC/SLC data file that the ControlLogix emulates is determined by the length of the Array Tag.

If you make 77 = N77, then the array tag "N77[x]" should be at least 165 elements long.

If it were me, I'd make all of the PanelView Plus interface data files INT[256] or REAL[256] arrays. That most closely emulates the way data files work in the PLC/SLC.

When you say 'interface data files" are you referring to the files in the Panelview itself or the files in Controllogix that are communicating thru the map?

Also....I assume that any additional tags I add to the Panelview can use Controllogix addressing?

When you say 'interface data files" are you referring to the files in the Panelview itself or the files in Controllogix that are communicating thru the map?

A better phrase would be "ControlLogix Array Tags that are used to interface with the PanelView Plus via the Map PLC/SLC Data Table feature".

The size of the emulated PLC/SLC Data Table is determined by the size of the Array Tag. You do not specify it separately.

Yes, you can address ControlLogix tags natively in the PanelView Plus application. The Map PLC/SLC Data Tables feature is strictly for convenience and efficiency when converting between platforms.