OPC UA Import and Export

sparky66

Past experience with OPC(going back 20 years)is that the OPC client needs to connect to a OPC server that is then connected to the field devices to get tag data. In other word, for a PLC, it would have to be programmed, compiled, and running to get tag data to OPC. For modern systems, OPC UA is the choice, but it looks like the same limitations apply. There is a standard for importing and exporting tags via an XML NodeList. Does anyone know of any PLC's or HMI's that utilize offline OPC UA tag import and export? For HMI's, I am primarily interested in traditional machine mounted touchscreens, not PC-based SCADA systems.

I had a project using Maple HMI, software is EBPro. It is capable of talking to almost any PLC. I was using Modbus/TCP. I saw other protocols as well, but never try them.
You can import offline tags.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Maybe I didn't word my post correctly. Looking for PLC's(really the programming environment) that can export an OPC UA tag list, and HMI's(again, the programming environment) that can import and use that tag list. All of this must happen offline.

Some OPCUA servers have a configuration tool which gets directly from the PLC itself, through logix messaging, all the tags in the PLC program and builds the address space with the tags of the PLC configured as OPC UA nodes. I am familiar with Softing's dataFEED Suite and two other products, including an in-chassis ControlLogix module with such functionality. No need to import tags from the PLC program's engineering tool project.

Maybe I didn't word my post correctly. Looking for PLC's(really the programming environment) that can export an OPC UA tag list, and HMI's(again, the programming environment) that can import and use that tag list. All of this must happen offline.
Maple HMI can do that. It can import tags from different PLCs. My project was an odd Schneider PLC Using EcoSgtruxure ControlExpert. Maple HMI EBPro import the tags easily. I don't work for Maple System, I was amazed by it capability. Schneider licensing is so bad though.
I think EBPro is free, you can register and download it to try it out.

Maple HMI can do that. It can import tags from different PLCs. My project was an odd Schneider PLC Using EcoSgtruxure ControlExpert. Maple HMI EBPro import the tags easily. I don't work for Maple System, I was amazed by it capability. Schneider licensing is so bad though.
I think EBPro is free, you can register and download it to try it out.

So it can import OPC tags from a file?

One of the advantages of OPC UA is that the client can browse the server nodes tree and connect to the ones it need, without having to consult other documents ...