Need help wioth a SLC 500 5/01 1747-L514

R_Phoenix

Hello,

I am a tech and I am trying to fix a 1994 Liberty Motor home with a Allen Bradly lighting and control system.

The issue:
The SLC 5/01 CPU card is flashing a CPU FAULT light and nothing works. The customer found a unit on Ebay and replaced it. Things worked OK for a while and now the CPU FAULT light is blinking again.

What I have checked:
I searched the internet and tried all suggestions I am able to do. The Power supply is fine. The CPU board itself has some light corrosion but nothing to raise any flags. I have re-seated the programmable chip.

I don't have any software to look at the programing, or error codes and I have searched for any free-ware type stuff but found nothing.

I am in the Elkhart Indiana area if there is someone I can call, and would appreciate any suggestions on what might be the cause.

Thanks

You need to find someone with the required programming software and hardware to connect to the PLC. There are numerous conditions that could cause a PLC to fault. Once connected, you'd have access to the fault code(s). Then you'd have a starting point for troubleshooting the problem. Find for your local AB vendor with in-house tech support. If you could bring the unit in to their shop, they might even offer some free assistance.

The flashing fault light is actually good news; it means it's not a major CPU failure. But it might be a bad I/O module (SLC-500 are famously protective of their I/O integrity), or a bad chassis. It's unlikely to be a software crash after all this time.

Kirby-Risk is the A-B dealer for South Bend and the surrounding cities. They'll have somebody who can help you out and talk about how they support the various coach manufacturers that use A-B controllers.

The customer found a unit on Ebay and replaced it. Things worked OK for a while and now the CPU FAULT light is blinking again.

How did you get the program out of the old one to put in the new one?
Memory module?

How did you get the program out of the old one to put in the new one?
Memory module?

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him. That was something he did on his own last year.

I assume that if it is software related, putting the EEPROM in a new card won't do any good. I'll try to get more details soon.

Thanks again