Factorytalk SE IP subnet change

mburtis

Hoping someone can give me some guidance or confirmation of what I need to do. We have a FactoryTalk SE program that I need to change the IP scheme on for networking reasons.

The original system has PLCs at multiple locations that were all on the same network 192.168.254.xxx. Due to some changes in how the plants are going to be connected I need to split this network up. For example all the equipment at one location needs to move to 192.168.225.xxx.

I tried some things today without much luck. For this instance the plc and the computer hosting the FT project are located in the same place. I went through and set all the network masks to 255.255.224.0 temporarily so I can maintain comms as I switch stuff over. I then changed the IP address of the PLC. I then went to the rslinx enterprise inside the FactoryTalk Studio program. After a minute the network updated and found the plc at the new address and populated it in the comm setup. I assume this means rslinx enterprise can see the plc at the new address. I linked this new address to the old shortcut but the system failed to reestablish communications.

Am I on the right track here? I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow.

Made some good progress today. Tried changing the plc ip addresses again and relinked the rslinx again. After restarting everything it magically worked as it should.

I am still having a slight issue with the FactoryTalk directory. The way this system is set up there is a client computer running FTview, there is another "server" computer running a virtual machine where the FactoryTalk project is hosted. If I change the ip on the virtual machine the client won't connect to the FT directory. I tried going through the specifying the location and such with no luck.

Any tips ?