can ping but RSLinx says unrecognized device

Andy Patel

Hello Everyone,

I am using an Ethernet Driver and have added the IP addresses manually.
There are a few IPs that I can ping in command prompt but in RSLinx they appear with a yellow question mark and a red cross on it—saying unrecognized device.

Does anyone know the reason why this is happening?
and what I can do to solve the issue?

Thanks
Andy

You do not have EDS files installed for those devices, so RSLinx cannot identify what the device is.

Usually you can download the files from the manufacturer's website. Install them using Rockwell's EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

EDIT: Didn't notice you had said 'and a red cross' -- as dmroeder says below, a red cross means it has failed to actually connect. A yellow question mark by itself indicates it has connected but can't identify what it's connecting to (in which case you need to add an EDS file).

What is the device you are adding to RSLinx?

The red X means that RSLinx either can't see it, or it is not a Ethernet I/P device. For example, I have an IP camera at my desk, if I add it to the Ethernet Devices driver, it shows up with a red X, even though it is on the network and I can ping it.

You do not have EDS files installed for those devices, so RSLinx cannot identify what the device is.

Usually you can download the files from the manufacturer's website. Install them using Rockwell's EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

EDIT: Didn't notice you had said 'and a red cross' -- as dmroeder says below, a red cross means it has failed to actually connect. A yellow question mark by itself indicates it has connected but can't identify what it's connecting to (in which case you need to add an EDS file).

I tried this. just now. it's still showing the yellow question mark and a red cross.
surprisingly they are compact logix PLCs. and RSLinx is showing me other similar PLCs.

any idea?

They are PLCs with firmware newer than what you have EDS files for. In RSLINX, right mouse button click on them and upload the EDS file from them and install.

They are PLCs with firmware newer than what you have EDS files for. In RSLINX, right mouse button click on them and upload the EDS file from them and install.

When I right click on the devices which I am not able to get connection. there no such option as Upload EDS file. it only appears for the devices which are connected.

When I right click on the devices which I am not able to get connection. there no such option as Upload EDS file. it only appears for the devices which are connected.

That is correct. This works (for later RA devices) if the connection is good but the computer doesn't have the firmware to match the device. Sounds like there is no connection but there is an entry in the RSlinx's ETH connection table (which is confirmed in the first post).