Beckhoff PLCs disconnecting from network

Jsales

Hi
I'm new working with Beckhoff
We have 40+ CX2030 twincat 2 PLCs
but almost every day at least one will drop from the network and loose communication and the only way to reconnect is to reboot it
we are using ADS as protocol to communicate with Kepware

any suggestions on how to improve communication ?

What changed? What network devices have you got and have you looked at their diagnostics (assuming managed)? I've had similar issues in the past and when looking at the switches, the one where the PLC was connected was accumulating a huge number of errors on one of the ports.

Rebooting that switch fixed it then, but there's always a chance that the issue is at the switch and network level.

How many concurrent connections is each unit having?
We had a similar issue with the Bx9 series, of which could not determine so ended up implementing a reset function.

Sounds Silly but check for a Divide by Zero. These can really hang up beckhoffs. I think there is a codesys Trap you can put in to check.. Other option is write a function that takes in a value checks for Zero and forces the output to +0.0000001 if zero so the calc doesn't fail.

Then every time you call divide check the Denominator with the function.

I had an issue with our TwinCAT PLC. We used one of the Ethernet ports for EtherCAT and the other for ADS to communicate the TwinCAT runtime PLC application with the TwinCAT engineering tool. Also, I had a USB-WiFi interface that I would use at the office for the TwinCAT engineering tool. The other one was for trade shows and training at customer site. I had incorrectly selected the LAN interface, swapping the one running EtherCAT with the one running ADS. Don't remember exactly how I messed the setup, but the result was that the ADS routing needed constant setup on the programming PC, which has the role of the Keptware application reference to in the OP.
So I would advice that you have the correct selection of LAN interface, by checking the MAC addresses. In my experience, when I fixed this issue, the ADS routes would always show normal connection when the TwinCAT PLC was running and connected to our network.