switch off plc procedure

PERSPOLIS

HI EXPERTS

I HAVE A QUESTION IN RELATION TO POWER UP PLC .IS IT ADVICEABLE TO SWITCH IT OFF AND ON WHEN EVER YOU DO WANT TO USE IT FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU HAVE MADE A TEST PANEL AND FROM TIME TO TIME YOU PLAY WITH IT THEN CAN YOU SWITCH THE PLC UNIT OFF AND TURN IT ON NEXT DAY OR NEXT WEEK OR NOT .THIS KIND OF PRCTICE WOULD NOT REDUCE THE LIFE OF PLC OR POWER SUPPLY AND ETC ETC DUE TO RECYCLING.

THANKS EXPERTS
PERSPOLIS

Any time you power up, and then power down an electronic device you reduce it's life.
Who cares?
So what if the device dies 20 or 30 cycles sooner when it has a lifetime in the millions of cycles.

The observation that you should leave equipment like this on all the time was made during the old days when vacuum tubes were state-of-the-art. In those days, in even the best of conditions, equipment had a short lifetime. Then, radical temperature fluctuations inherent to the turning on-and-off of that equipment shortened that life dramatically. Today, though, with solid-state electronics equipment lifetimes are much longer and damaging temperature changes are all but gone.

Turn it on and off to your heart's content (provided you have your program backed-up as mentioned previously).

Steve