ControlLogix ENET Cards

ControlLogix

Hi all,

I have got a problem with ENET card folks and I am hoping that somebody out there can explain it for me. I have approx. 20 ControlLogix processors with 1756 ENET cards, some are Series A cards, others are Series B cards.

Starting yesterday evening and every few hours since then the 1756 ENET cards "hang". The status LED is a solid red and the Rxd LED is still flashing. The Txd LED is not on. According to the Rockwell manuals all I can do is replace the cards!! That would be 4 cards in all at the moment. What I am doing to get out of the situation is reseating all the cards and hey presto I am back in action.

Now the puzzling thing about this is that 3 of the ENET cards are on one network with its own switch. The 4th card is on a seperate switch and is in no way connected to the other switch. The only thing that all the cards have in common is that they are all Series A cards.

I would like to think that there is a problem with Series A cards so that I could just replace them but I have about other 6 ENET Series A cards that are ok. No problems with my Series B cards.

Any ideas out there folks?

ControlLogix said:
Starting yesterday evening and every few hours since........

My experience has been that at least 90% of the time, these things do not just happen randomly for no reason. Maybe some further investigation could reveal a change in the network you were not aware of, i.e. someone added a device and inadvertently duplicated an IP address, etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Often a ControlLogix module whose network port is faulted will still be accessible via the backplane. Use RSLinx to browse into your backplane via another network connection (ControlNet, DH+, or serial to the controller) and get the Module Status from the RSWho dialog.

Also try the HTTP server of the modules; it might still be running even during a fault of this type.

I agree that this is probably not some sort of new mortality among the 1756-ENET modules; there is probably something going on on the network (I have seen a LOT of "isolated" networks get plugged into others) that you need to diagnose.