Rslinx as IO server for Intouch

weekev

Has anybody used Rslinx pro as the IO server for Intouch rather
than a Wonderware product.

I've read up the wonderware site but talk about using Rslinx
as "middleware" , surely I can use Rslinx as an OPC server direct to
intouch , without having to use something else inbetween ?

If anyones done it, please send quick instructions for same

thanks in advance
Wee kev

I thought OPC was OPC, regardless of the software. I've seen enough cases to believe that it's true.

Are you having trouble setting up your system, or are you asking this question to help you make your purchasing decision?

AK

Rslinx as server

I've got Rslinx Pro already, I also have Intouch and the
box od IO server CDs'

But I'm hoping to use RSlinx only as the main IO server
for intouch, with Rslinx loking after all the differing drivers
use already in the plant, eth, DH etc rather than configuring several different io servers from Wonderware.
i.e. Rslinx looks after all the routing etc Intouch just needs
a topic name .... I hope
Thats my question , if Rslinx is a true OPC server and Intouch
is a true ORC client , why should I need anything else.
But what exactly is involved to get intouch to read directly from
RsLinx ?

I've used RSLinx as an I/O server for InTouch, on a demo set up for the managers on site, I just set the topics in RSLinx to link to some PLC's on a DH485 network and then configured the acess names to look at the relevent topics, had no problems .
Jezz

I agree with Jezz. RSLinx Pro has an OPC server built in. That's all you need. I didn't personally set it up but the company I work for recently did a Wonderware / RSLinx / SLC505 setup. As Jezz said, once you set up your topic and access names you should be golden. At least that's how it worked for us.

Keith

The Wonderware literature on this topic of drivers to AB hardware shows about five different dirver options for various system configurations, RSLinx being one of them, and the others being I assume lower cost Wonderware drivers.

Wonderware would sooner you buy their drivers than Rockwell's so they somewhat offhandedly refer to RSLinx as "middleware", whereas of course all comms driver packages are middleware, whether this is done explicitly or not.

What they also don't make obvious is that RSLinx will do in one package everything that all of their own drivers will do, plus make it easy to run RSLogix on the same PC if needed.

Get the right version of RSlinx. Many folk have bought the full RSLinx Pro, when all they needed was the single node version to talk to a single PLC

RSlinx can be used with Wonderware.
Remeber that WW is DDE based.
So unless you use the OPCLink I/O server in between WW and RSLinx, you will be doing DDE.

For the DDE connect, just configure the access name for the App. RSlinx and the correct topic

I have used linx and WW together in the past with great success but I have a new project and would like to know why I need to purchase two Linx packages if WW has something else that works just as good.

:confused:

RSLINX as io Server

Good news , I got it working.
All I was doing wrong was not setting the DDEshare and trusting it
on the local machine running Linx.

thanks to all , anyway.

I can sure use your help! I am trying to use RSLinx as my I/O server to wonderware.

I have the following: RSLinx OEM V2.42 Build 18
RSLogix 5000 Version 12.03.00
InTouch Wonderware V9.0

My situation is that the plant had an HMI running the above and then the hard drive crashed leaving the HMI totally useless. Hard Drive was fubarred! Thus, got a new hard drive installed all software and do not know where to begin from there for I was not part of the initial HMI setup.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME on getting this HMI up and talking to the PLC

SCRUFF said:
I can sure use your help! I am trying to use RSLinx as my I/O server to wonderware.

I have the following: RSLinx OEM V2.42 Build 18
RSLogix 5000 Version 12.03.00
InTouch Wonderware V9.0

My situation is that the plant had an HMI running the above and then the hard drive crashed leaving the HMI totally useless. Hard Drive was fubarred! Thus, got a new hard drive installed all software and do not know where to begin from there for I was not part of the initial HMI setup.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME on getting this HMI up and talking to the PLC

There is a help file available

abciphelp.jpg

Ian

You probably should have started a new thread instead of resurrecting this 'ancient" one...

Anyway - the biggest thing you're going to have to deal with is re-authorizing the RSLinx. You may very well have to work with your Rockwell Software rep to make that happen.

After that, you'll need to reestablish the proper Topic Configuration in Linx to point to the PLC. You'll need to know the TOPIC name for the Access Name in WonderWare. This is covered in the RSLinx Help files.

If you need specific help, I can help -- I have several apps set up exactly this way.