5580 PLC to VideoJet printer

Ah ok, it said in the documentation that UDP wasn't captured but maybe I'm not using the settings on wireshark correctly. I can send to Eweb in UDP and TCP mode. Everything works, except that printer. I've still to try the printer on UDP.

I am pretty sure that you can capture Putty data as well.
At least I never had any issues with default settings.

Can you try to send data from EWEB application to printer?
If so then capture that.

Ok so the latest, still not gotten onto the actual printer yet as the line is still down for maintenance stuff but here is a capture from the PLC to the EWEB using UDP:

y4mqKuh_BACaCqEK36lmZFkOTJ8b6qAXfuUfTuPQHc-EfPtI26HdoMwxcOhj2zAIYAlhkBxF66jk4BqIbInG_61o3E3uXkoEHTQu89b2zrR_fapOUnWPCeXAjUJD6amM003pudKc3XCBBOO2wKPx6g1SvJKQJdP7bfMmA9B075nIkG0usJSCLEjpxLXwGfhLD5A

Last edited:
It looks correct to me, I would be curious what Putty sends out.

I know EWEB App can't send "CR" it can only do CRLF. May be this is the key?
Here is my capture from the EWEB App:

udp3.PNG

Hey thanks for that, you know I'd be interested in whether you can capture anything from PuTTy in RAW mode as I can't? The data appears at Eweb when it is listening in TCP Server mode, in UDP listening it never gets data from PuTTy even though the IP & port are correct, but put PuTTy in RAW mode then eweb in TCP server listen, and the data appears but wireshark sees no packets at all.

I tried filtering on udp.port == 1024 && ip.addr == 192.168.0.191 and i get nothing shown, same in tcp.port == 1024 - yet eweb gets the data and PuTTy sends it in RAW mode - this may be the whole issue, I can't capture PuTTy traffic at all. And it is the only thing so far, that the printer responds to. (haven't been able to try PLC & UDP yet to printer)

Last edited:
I don't know how to send UDP from PUTTY
I believe it is all TCP unicast.
When you have a filter use only address, not a port - I suspect this is why you can't see any packets - because these are TCP

Ok so put PuTTy in RAW mode by clicking "other" then drop down the Telnet selector and pick RAW, enter the port top right side and hit connect. I can't capture PuTTy packets but then again that interface on my laptop has hundreds of devices so really busy.

It looks like my putty version 0.70 is too old to have "Other", I do see RAW on the main screen, but when I open a RAW connection, it closes in a few second with Connection Refused. Wireshark clearly shows TCP connection.
UDP does not open a connection. It just creates a local UDP socket.
How did you open UDP?

Ok so here's what I find:

Eweb in UDP mode, can't send or connect with PuTTy. Same as you, it closes - connection refused.

PLC in UDP mode, eweb in UDP, messag received fine.

PLC in TCP client mode, eweb in TCP server, messages send fine and received.

PuTTy in RAW mode, can send and receive from the videojet printer last time, no problem.

PLC in TCP client, no response from the videojet.

Still to test videojet from the PLC in UDP, as yet untested. I'm glad you get the same behaviour with PuTTy and eweb, I thought it was me.

I am pretty sure that RAW mode is not doing UDP, it does TCP instead, my wireshark clearly shows that.
In this case, you simply need to configure TCP Client on the PLC side and try it.

Looks like you're spot on, yet I can only connect to the printer in RAW mode from PuTTy, and using the PLC in TCP client mode does not work. Weird or what.

I am retired now, but I used to use an OPC server from Videojet called Clarinet, I gathered info from printers ( air, ink, jobs, production etc) and send info to them(jobs).
I do not know if they have a free testing version, but you can ask for it.
I also had to have another PC to design printing and troubleshooting printers.
This OPC server was installed on the same machine as our SCADA FTView SE Distributed was installed.

Last edited:
Looks like you're spot on, yet I can only connect to the printer in RAW mode from PuTTy, and using the PLC in TCP client mode does not work. Weird or what.
"does not work" is not a really helping anyone.
You need to compare apples to apples: compare the actual "working" packet data on the wire with "not working" and find a difference. You can use a switch in port mirror mode or ETAP in Debug mode to trace that data and compare.

I am retired now, but I used to use an OPC server from Videojet called Clarinet, I gathered info from printers ( air, ink, jobs, production etc) and send info to them(jobs).
I do not know if they have a free testing version, but you can ask for it.
I also had to have another PC to design printing and troubleshooting printers.
This OPC server was installed on the same machine as our SCADA FTView SE Distributed was installed.

Thanks, that's good info. I'll speak to them.