PanelView Bitmap Import

Heterodoxy

Why is it, that every time I try to import a bitmap with text on it. That PanelBuilder32 (v3.80) distorts the image so badly that you can hardly make it out?

The PV that I’m using is a 2711-K9C3 PV900. And I’ve already tried lowering the color depth (anywhere from 8 – 16 colors) with no positive results!

Is there another trick that I’m not familiar with?

Thanks
Heterodoxy

I did a quick test importing a bitmap I created in Paint. It contains a block with some arial text. Is your display a lot worse than this?

In 3.8 you can resize bitmaps in Panelbuilder but you can also distort them if you don't re-size the x and y dimesions together by holding down the shift key when you drag the corner to resize.

screen 1.jpg

May have been lost in the translation!

Let me explain what I’ve done so far. If you noticed, I have a PV with keypad control. After opening my project in PB32 I hit my Print Screen Button then I pasted that to MS Paint. (Which copied the whole screen to Paint) Once in Paint I cropped just the soft key section and saved the file. (Reasoning for this was to have an exact copy of the soft keys, in which I intended on using as a template for each screen with the necessary different label) So with the soft key image saved, I opened it up in Photoshop, where I created a layer for each button label. (Text centered horz & vert) This was my true template in my mind! So I saved the file in the Photoshop format. (psd) From there I figured that all I needed to do was to reopen the template in Photoshop and reassign each buttons layer for whatever function in each screen. When all soft key descriptions where too my satisfaction, I would duplicate the image as a psd with another name. Which in turn, I would save that copy as a bitmap!!!! There you go, bitmap complete and ready to import into PV32. So I thought, but text is distorting beyond my liking.

Well, your're really going beyond what most do to try to get the soft keys on the screen to look "exactly" like the the ones off the screen.

Also, you must realize that your initial screen grab was at the resolution of your PC monitor while the resolution of the Panelview is fixed at something near VGA 640 x 480. While photoshop can do wonderful things, it can't change the resolution or color depth of our final output, i.e. the Panelview.

So you're probably trying to stuff an image at SVGA or XGA resolution with at least 16 million colors into a format of roughly VGA with only 32 colors. I mention the colors because it's possible to make an image look better with dithering but you need the millions of colors to make this work.

Below is a sample of a screen from a Panelview 600 that I think is what most will do when trying to create an onscreen layout similar to the keypad layout.

sampscreen.gif

Thanks Norm,

But I’m also using a program that I’ve seen on this forum. (IrfanView ) Which is capable of changing color depth at user’s discretion! So if it’s working correctly this shouldn’t be an issue. (I properly should have included that in my 2nd post – Sorry Norman)

So what else am I’m missing?

I'm not sure at what step you're using IrfanView but it cannot change the resolution of the panelview screen or change the number of available colors on the panelview screen. Those are fixed by the hardware and firmware of the Panelview which you cannot change.

You're spending a lot of time and effort on something which may come back to haunt you the first time you need to change the text associated with a softkey. Worse yet, if someone other than you has to support this HMI then how will they be able to go about it without all your other ancillary software? I'm not trying to say don't do this but just think about what happens down the road.

The Panelview product is not one of the best models if you want to do pretty graphics. It is a basic HMI and is very good at what it does but it is not a computer screen. I would recommend you stick with the tools in the Panelbuilder software for maintainability or go with some other hardware/software solution. Really, in the end the operator will be able to get the same work done whether the buttons look perfect or just like simple boxes.

There is a set of bitmaps which come with Panelbuilder in the directory:
C:\Program Files\Allen-Bradley\PanelBuilder32\Bitmap Library
which may be of use to you.

First of all, Thanks for our time Norm! IrfanView was my last step before importing into PV. Because I had tried everything else that I could think of, to try and make this thing work.(To no avail) So I came back to my crutch (PLC.net) To do a search on my subject and came up with IrfanView. Which gave me great expectation, because if I could use it to lower the color depth at which the PV would like I was sure that it would work. And we all know the answer to that, (Because if it had there won’t be any reason for me to bother all of you or necessary for myself to do all of this typing!)

And your properly right in the aspect that it would be hard for the end-user to make the same cosmetic changes that I would like to make. (Unless they read this tread, is it bad of me to say that I’m not really worried about that thou! – My main concern is to deliver the most professional looking product that I can! ---- Hence taking the time to develop each screen shot and centering every label over the soft key bitmap.) My partner calls me a perfectionist, and I try to adhere to that label.

And the problem with using the PV delivered tools is that, some of my descriptions necessary for soft key buttons won’t fit onto the image. So that is my reasoning for going through all of the trouble. (Not only that, but I’m thinking that I could use it for another project down the road with a keypad, so all I would have to do is change or turn off the necessary layers within the psd file and create a bitmap of said image.)

Below is a copy of what I’ve been doing in Photoshop and a screen shot of what happens when I import it into PanelBuilder32

Thanks Again
Heterodoxy

Last edited:
Just a thought,

Is your images saved is 24 bit format??

Panelview only support 16 bit. Try save in 16 bit and import again.

Your problem is that the image was re-sized at some point between when you created it and when you moved it to the Panelview.

The good image you have is 501 x 97 pixels and the distorted one is 549 x 83 pixels. Programs like Paint and Photoshop are fine for re-sizing simple graphic images like your blue rectangles w/ rounded corners but re-sizing bitmaped text usually gives less than desirable results.

I think you will get the best results by following these steps:
  • Figure out what size the image needs to be on the panelview.
  • Bring your screen grab into an image editing software and Before Adding Any Text re-size the image to the exact size required on the panelview.
  • Add your text
  • Save as 16 bit color .bmp file (as chavak stated)
  • Import into Panelbuilder
Do not re-size the image at any step after adding the text

If that doesn't give you acceptable results, then I think you will have to change hardware. Let me know if it works for you or not.

Good Luck

I would certainly follow the advice given above.

The only other thought that I have is that your palette uses colors that are very similar. I am not convinced the PV can do that well. I would edit the palette and/or draw using only very specific prime colors (Dark Blue / White / Black). I think you'll get better results.

Marc

Thanks Again Norm,

Your last post I fell was right on the mark, but the real trick is “figuring out what size the image needs to be on the PanelView” The rationale that I state this is, because if I import an image off what the full screen should be. (By the way, how do you figure the correct full screen pixel size?) I’m able to grab a hold of a side of the image and stretch it by holding down the left mouse button to expand it. And in doing so when you let go after resizing, there is a noticeable difference in the displayed text appearance! So I fell that we’re on the correct path, it’s just a matter of getting the correct pixel size for full screen deflection for the buttons image! If I can get that right, I’m confident that the text added, will follow suit!

I realize that everyone is properly getting tired of seeing this tread pop back up, but hopefully this little brain of mine will finally go aa-ha ---- And maybe it can help some other oxygen-deficient individual during a future tread search!

Bother Everyone Later!
Heterodoxy

All by the way,
Thanks, Again, and Again Norm!!!

Don't bother counting the pixel size,

1. On the PanelView, with your cursor on any screen object, click the 'camera' icon to grab the screen image to clipboard.

2. Open paint from accesary and paste as new image.

- you have the screen size (template). Save as Template(whatever).

- do what ever you want, save it in 16 bit bmp format.

- import it back to panelview - done!!

Note: Templates created in PV600 cannot be used in PV900/1000 etc, - do the above steps again.