AB Denso

G
:unsure: Where to start?
Vintage 1998, Exsisting Grinding Machine acting up. What I know at a glance. 2 Axis Servo, AB 8500 motors, AB 9/Series controller, just looks like a back plane, one Yaskawa Servo Amp, three AB Denso I/O Blocks. Didn't look at HMI, should have, but think it is AB 9/Series CNC type from what I say on AB's web site. The controller looks like it has a fiber link ti I/O blocks.

My question is. Can I get online or view the programs offline? How to communicate with the controller. So far one of the operators says that two programs losse home reference, but one other one works fine. The difference in these programs as discribed operator, is that the wheel dressing routine happens at different times in the run sequence. What works, dress all three wheels them run grinding routine. What doesn't work, dress two wheels run their routine, dress third wheel run that. Position drift or error happens after the first wheels run and before third dressing. The axis that is lossing home reference or gets the drift is the vertical axis, what I would call Z. It's only movement is for dressing and grind depth.

That's enought for now. I must look more closly Monday. Any past experience would be helpful. Thanks

I will state I have no idea what you mean with "AB 9 series"

This sounds to me like a DCS system where items from a PLC rack system are used but no cpu is involved.

Personal opinion is to LEARN more about the system before making decisions about what to do.

The info so far is sketchy, learn more and post more, your answers then may offer solutions.

Oh boy... Allen-Bradley 9/Series CNC...
Yes, there is offline software, it is called ODS (Offline Development System). It is DOS-based soft, there is no Windows and never will be, I guess. It runs under Windows - I've tried NT4 and 2000.
The software consists of several components. AMP is used to configure the controller, the axes, set motion and homing parameters etc.
The package for sequence programming is called PAL. It is very primitive and awkward ladder logic programming, and it is here where one may find the logic for homing. There is Part Programming, which does no more than launching a text editor to manually create your G-code files. As a matter of fact, G-code macros (I beleive they are called "paramacros") may be used to handle some I/O. There is an upload/download utility.

There is some Fast I/O on the backplane, but everything else is sitting on a fiberoptic ring. This includes MTB box (a panel with all the jog buttons etc.) and the Remote I/O (AB Denso in your case; what I have seen is essentially an SLC-500 rack with some special module (Link I/O? don't remember) sitting where normally a processor should be).

As far as communications go - it is either serial or, if the unit has an Ethernet module installed, via network (IP addresses and all).
If you go on AB site, there is documentation in PDF for 9/Series, you would definitely need Hardware manual, AMP manual, PAL manual and 9/Series Grinder programming book (the controller comes in three flavors: mill, lathe and grinder). These files are huge. You might be better off getting the printed books from an A-B vendor, as well as ODS software, the books are bulky, too. BTW, my experience with CNC tech support at A-B was good - knowledgeable and helpful.

If you haven't done it yet, make sure you quote enough hours for this job, the learning curve may be quite steep. And, judging by your description of the problem, I would check the servodrive tuning, before delving into the intricacies of this controller...

Good luck, you'll definitely need it.

Last edited:
Thanks so far

LadderLogic, I have been to Allen-Bradley's website and downloaded those manuals that you mentioned. I got the impression that I should field my quest before read a lot for nothing. Yes the manual files are big, cable hook-up comes in handy for thing like that. So I see that reading is in my future. BTW do you know if that software is still available? As for your last comment, I'm hourly. :D Now with a like reference material underarm I can look more deeply Monday and ask the right question. I'm still thinking that something is slipping, ie the encoder and the different programs amplify the problem.

I will keep al those interested updated.
Thanks a bunch
Sloan

SloanHanson:

I am sure you still should be able to buy the software from your AB vendor. I will not bet it would be free. Or, for that matter, inexpensive.
I will not bet otherwise, either... ;)

I am no professional in Series/9, I just happened to get involved in providing controls engineering support for some equipment in our company that have those monsters running'em. You probably have already guessed that, had it been up to me, there would be no 9/Series controllers on our plant floor...

You might also want to know that there is another piece of software available for these, it is called AB OCI. This is a set of DDE drivers linkable to RSLinx as well as a Visual Basic program that simulates the screens of the CNC HMI. It comes very handy to me: the machines we have all came with Ethernet modules; the plant where they are installed is about 10 miles away from me. With OCI, I can connect to CNCs any time via the company network and see what is going on (error messages, axes data etc.). This did save me some travel time in the past: in a few cases I was able to tell the technicians, what the problem is, and what to do to fix it - without leaving my comfy cubicle... :p It is the lazy people who provide for progress, you know...

Hi

I take it that you have checked that the ladder can not be viewed ONLINE using the ops screen. You can order this option in, most people seem to leave it out though, presumably for cost reasons. I always used to ordered the option in so that problems later on could be sorted easier. Yes you will need ODS and yes you will need the correct serial lead to go in the processor, it is straight forward to make one up. Which series 9 is it? 260, 290 or the 440? How much is the drift, microns or mils Is it possible the encoder coupling is loose?
Could the compo on one wheel be wrong?
Keep the info coming..

regards

kevin