1336 to PLC help

russrmartin

R
Recently I had a very simple project to do. Frist the application. We have a 1336 drive that is talking to a PLC5000, which is controlling a conveyor. It is getting all it's communications thru SCANport. My job was to make it possible for the operators to reset faults from a pushbutton on their panelview. This was done very easily, because someone had already mapped out the I/O in RSNetworx. There was already a message in the panelview telling them when the drive was faulted. I had no problem finding in the manual where the input functions to the drive were located. When I look under SCANport capabilities in the manual, the input bits are all listed. My question is, where do you find the output bits for the drive to talk to SCANport. Someone else already mapped those out too, and found out that bit 7 is the drive faulted output bit, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Anyone point me in the right direction here? If nothing else, let me know what chapter to dig in in the drive manual. Anything could help. Thanks in advance.

Russ

Easily done. I have a 1336 Plus II manual in front of me, publication 1336PLUS-5.3 December 1997. The important page is dog-eared on mine: Page A-13.

Logic Control Structure (this is the first 16 bits of the Output connection)

Bit 0 Stop
Bit 1 Start
Bit 2 Jog
Bit 3 Clear Faults
Bits 4/5 Direction
... and so on.

The new manuals that ship with Plus II drives have a red-and-white manual.. I'll find one shortly here.

Drives are Happy on DeviceNet !

In the new (Jan 2002) 1336 PLUS II user manual that diagram is on page A-11. Usually when I'm programming Plus II drives I photocopy that page and tape it to a nearby wall.

I whipped up a quick test application to be sure I wasn't blowing smoke, and it turns out to be pretty easy to reset a SCANport drive (like the PLUS, PLUSII, IMPACT, or 1305) via DeviceNet directly from a DNet-equipped PanelView.

I set up a momentary pushbutton as a Single-Bit, Normally-Open configuration, and defined the write tag as follows:
Code:
Data Type:       Bit
Messaging Type:  Explicit-Client
Node Address:    3   (my Plus II drive)
Packet Bytes:    2   (16-bit Word)
Bit Offset:      0
Class:           15  (Parameters)
Instance:        51  (Reset Faults = Parameter 51)
Attribute:       1   (Parameter Value)
Write Tag:         Yes
Tag Initial Value: 0

I intentionally faulted the drive (unplugged the DNet interface) then plugged it back in (resulting in a Serial Fault F10) and reset it with the pushbutton.

It's similarly easy to make a Multistate Indicator giving messages corresponding to Parameter 86, the Last Fault. You'd probably enter descriptions for the ten or so most frequent faults and label the Error state "Look It Up".

Reply to da boys.

RsDoran,

I checked in the manual I have, and parameters 56-57 are reserved and say leave at 0, and the other 2 are for hi and low Trim limits. Just so we are on the same page, the drive is a 1336E. This is an impact drive with Force capabilities.

Ken,

The reset was working when I posted my question. The question was not how to make it work. All the mapping was done for me. I see the table that you are referring to which lists the input bits, bit 0 stop, bit 3 reset etc. My question is, where is the lists for the outputs from the drive to SCANport. I figgered there should be a list of them somewhere saying bit 0=drive running, bit 1=enabled, etc. for example. I needed a bit saying that the drive was faulted, so that when this bit is set, I can tell the PLC and panelview the status of the drive. This part was already done for me, and I believe whatever word it comes from in the drive, the faulted bit was bit 7. I may be mistaken on that. However, my question was, how did they know what bit to use without having a similar table for the drive outputs as what they have for the inputs. I am using a 1336IMpact drive manual. The inputs you were talking about are under the "Using SCANport capabilities." These are all input parameters to control the drive. I am wondering if there is a similar list of the outputs from the drive in this manual, or in another manual so I know which bits to use. My take is that they have to come from somewhere in the drive, but I do not know where. Hopefully this info gives you a better idea about where I'm getting lost and help you get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks for the help already.

Russ

Three generations of drives, three generations of answers.

Oh, IMPACT. That's a whole different ball of kittens.

RSDoran presumed that you had a 1336 Classic drive, which are actually before my time ! :D
I presumed you meant a 1336 Plus or Plus II drive, which was also incorrect.

For those playing at home, the 1336 IMPACT works a lot differently than the run-of-the-mill PLUS and PLUS II drives. For the PLUS and PLUSII, the input and output data assemblies are always the same, and I have them memorized.

On the IMPACT, you actually have to configure the drive to "link" the SCANport input to the drive's Start and Stop and reference commands.

I read your original post more carefully, and now knowing that you have an IMPACT drive it makes sense.

I'll check my documentation and FAQs and see if I can answer this a little more accurately.

Last edited: