understanding and decoding binary files

tom008_de

Hi there,
my company uses a program which is very inconvenient to use. It creates files, which are binary encoded. I would like to know whether there is a general strategy to decode binary files in order to understand the way the program writes it's data into these files. This could be used to write an applcation that generates the program's files automatically.
Thank you very much for your help,
Tom

PS: I can also post an example file if someone wants to.

More data would be helpful

I would like to see more information on what you have. There are several possibilities in determining what a file is, no matter the form it is stored in.
It creates files, which are binary encoded
This is a little vague and first off I figured you might mean BCD but then it could be just plain old straight 1-2-4-8 binary.

I would like to know whether there is a general strategy to decode binary files in order to understand the way the program writes it's data into these files
Programs do what the programmer asks them to do. The program is a compilation of instructions that the programmer uses to tell the PLC/computer what to do, when to do it and what form to do it in.

More information about what you have and some examples would be very helpful. Bottom line is, there is no real secret to this work, just takes time to understand some of the finer points.