Ladder Logic Editor

Shafiq

I’m into computers and a TTL hobbyist. I have made few circuits, which can be connected to computer to perform some operation. Like turning my VCR or deck on and off... I have even connected my audio system remote to parallel port of my computers. With a software, one can control the timing and other operations on the remote control.

Then I heard about the PLC’s and PLD’s….went through their details. And now trying to make a computer based PLC (something like softPLC). On which I just program my circuit through ladder logic on my computer screen, and then computer will control the connected circuit

Well.. What I want to know is that, how to make ladder logic editor in Visual basic, some example will be very help full…tried to find internet, but couldn’t find anything helpful so far

Hi Shafiq!
A PC based PLC is not a new idea. You should be able to find many such projects online for free. Keep looking.
Making Ladder logic editor is perhaps the easiest in visual baic. You provide your users with a list of controls that he can use. For each type of controls you can use an array. This way you should be able to name each control that a user enters. Associate with each control its boolean property - true or false. After this, all you have to do is convert the ladder program into an 'And-Or' logic. For example two contacts in series represents ANDing. Your program would then be able to understan the ladder diagram. I've written, in past, one such program to simulate a ladder diagram. But I am afraid I don't have it now.
There may be other better ideas... anyone else.

yeah..ANDing and ORing thing, sounds easy and interesting, but for a kick start, i am trying to find some example on net for last few days, but couldn't get any....

any URL from ur side will be very help full!

thanks for the reply....

Try ph(f)aster.com

Hey, that post #2 is mine. Where did 'mjooshani' come from?????

Anyway, Shafiq, I tried to search for 'soft PLC' at www.phaster.com (Kartoo). The result was rather intresting. Try it!
Visit www.softplc.com for some comercial soft PLCs. Ofcourse, they won't give you any codes.

And Shafiq, guess what I found: http://www.thelearningpit.com/ - A *free* source of Ladder Logic and PLC simulators... (It even has a link to PLCs.net.) You won't find any codes here as well :D , but you can learn from the freewares you find here.