Viewing STEP5 in Ladder logic: Software

edward4444

I currently have Siemens STEP5 software (V7.2) for use with an old S5 PLC. Recently, the company purchased non-Siemens software that was supposed to give a Windows interface to the DOS-based software.

It does provide a Windows environment...however... this non-Siemens software ("PLC Workshop") is supposed to allow viewing the code in both STL and LAD.

Yet it will NOT show the code in LAD, because the original statement list code was not written in a way condusive to being shown in ladder.

The logic is capable of being expressed in ladder (at least on paper), but the software is not capable of doing so.

Is anyone aware of a software application that can translate statement list from STEP5 into ladder logic?

Even original Siemens software will not translate all STL in LAD is the code is not 100% compatible. Sometimes you need to use 'nop 0' instructies in order to switch to LAD but then the scantime will increase. Try to program a timer in LAD, do not use the outputs and translate to STL.You will see 3x 'nop 0' for the outputs.

I can do it for you. Or you can attend my presentation at the Siemens Summit in Las Vegas June 5 - 8, where I will be doing a presentation on "Migrating S5 and TI PLCs to S7". At the end I am going to show how to convert to S7 and some of how to convert STL to Ladder. If you are interested in me doing it for you, drop me an email.

http://www.sea.siemens.com/summit/home.html

Pg 2000

We use PG 2000 here at work. It will translate STL to Ladder even if it is not written correctly and will not do so with Siemens software. It does not care about the "NOP 0." With that said if the instruction can not be translated from STL to Ladder, it will not do it also. Below is the link to there website.

http://www.process-informatik.de/

They have a demo that you can download from there website that will help you out. Also this software works with both S5 and S7 PLC's and is windows based. They also sell a usb cable for use with the S5.

lhughes39 said:
We use PG 2000 here at work. It will translate STL to Ladder even if it is not written correctly and will not do so with Siemens software. It does not care about the "NOP 0." With that said if the instruction can not be translated from STL to Ladder, it will not do it also. Below is the link to there website.

http://www.process-informatik.de/

They have a demo that you can download from there website that will help you out. Also this software works with both S5 and S7 PLC's and is windows based. They also sell a usb cable for use with the S5.

WOW! lhughes39 Thanks, I don't like the way it looks but thats a very good tool, I have finaly started getting used to STL but this will help on some of the big ladders, thanks again