Rsview

jonjon

Hello guys!!!

I am new in the advanced technology of PLC. In my previous employer were using handheld programmer (CONSOLE) w/ pnemonic program. But now in my new job were using RSVIEW/MAGNETEK DRIVES/INDUSTRIAL PC/WAGO MODULES/SERVO DRIVES/ORMEC CONTROLLER ETC.

Some one help me to explain, How they communicating each other?
What is RSVIEW works for?
HUH!!!!! Am I correct w/ my Q?

Pls help me to understand this things.

Thanks in Advance.
Jonjon

Sounds like you've got a control system with a lot of nodes on some type of network. RSView is the thing that brings all information from/to all the nodes together. It is an operator interface program. RSview32 Works is the stuff you need to configure the operator interface. I think you could run the application without works, though.

If you open works, look under the system folder and click the nodes icon, you can find out how all the things talk to RSView. Each node will be configured there. Double click one. It will point you to a channel. Then look at that channel configuration for the comms setup.

RSView communicates to an OPC server, which is what does the actually communicating.

The usual OPC server for RSView is RSLinx. But I'm not aware that RSLinx has any drivers to talk to any of the devices you listed.

So you are either using a third-party OPC sever (such as KEPWare) or there is a Allen-Bradley PLC in the middle somewhere that's doing the communicating/controlling that haven't told us about.

There are two "flavors" to RSView - 'Works' and 'Runtime'. 'Works' is the developement environment (although it can also be runtime). 'Runtime' is purely a visualization environment.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

So, the RSVIEW is tasking the controllers (magnetek/wago etc) when operators touch some icons. And each icons has a tags, same like the microsoft access?

Magnetek and Ormec has a separate program on each self?
Wago is composed of I/O and bus cupler, So,where was the program that tasking the WAGO modules located? It is separate software?

Apologized for my bored question, This things get driving me crazy!!!
Also for my poor english.

Regards,
Jonjon

I am guessing the industrial PC is the tasking the wago I/O. It probably as some sort of soft PLC or other controller. It is probably providing supervisory control over your other components.

It could also be that the original programmer of this thing did the communication in the VBA part of RSLogix, possibly with some ActiveX.

Why not has him (who might know) instead of us (who are good guessers, but can only guess)?

Each installation will be unique, set up by the preferences/experience of the programmer, and the contraints of the hardware/software. I might do it differently than what you have; Rick Densing might do it in yet a third way, John Paley in a fourth.

If the originator is unavailable, then you're pretty much on your own on this.

Trace it through.

The grafix have objects (what you called 'icons', and the objects control, and are controlled by tags (to see which tag, and how, right click on the object and select "animation" (- I think that's what RSView calls it :confused: - that lump between my ears is on the fritz again).

Find the tag. Open the Tag Database, and see what the communication method is. If it's internal, then something is setting it, probably VBA scripting. If there's a communcation driver, go to the Communication folder and find out what.

You've got Works, the development package, so you can do it - it will just take time, patience, and good-old-fashioned-engineering-skills.

Good luck!