GE RX3i Redundant CPUs

bwhite

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ive been on this job for about a year now and just got handed 2 WWTPs with RX3i cpus in redundancy. No redundant IO. Yeah, i know doesnt make sense but its what I have to work with.

First problem and the only one ill bring up now is a crappy network architecture. Were using Cisco managed switches, It dept has certified all fiber connections and that. Two of the remote racks just drop out every so often and it sends the operators into a frenzy because of the alarms they get. The drop out only lasts for a second but yet in still.

Ive read enough pdfs in the last two days that my eyes are bleeding. What I have found is that in GE redundant systems, there are redundant IP addresses. Check, understand that. What I'm not understanding is that, while I'm not the best network guy, these updates between Primary and Secondary PACs are multi-cast. Is that not the same as broadcast?

Let alone dropping the local network down for a second a couple times a day, I had to take county VPN access away from the on call operator. The operators are my boys but they ain't very happy with uncle ben right now.

There just seems to be way too much traffic on this network. Any thoughts on this? Any more info I can provide you guys?

Ben

EDIT: Using Proficy ME 8.5 withe the last issued SIM.

Last edited:
I can't help with the crappy network and I would need more details to point you to a resolution of your other issues, but this is where I would start if these were under my care:
1. Update Firmware in all Hardware the CRUs and ETMs.
You do have CRUs not CPUs?, if not you do not have a GE Redundant system, unless you have the brand new CPU330s but then you would need newer PME.
2. Update PME to the latest version.
3. Use PACsAnalyzer to get more fault information.
4. Search the GE Knowledge site to see if there is anything already available on my issues.

Last edited:
Yes, we're using CRUs.
Have been fighting with Web Space today but got it going.
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill start looking into updating fw tomorrow. Biggest hurdle will be getting downtime. Thanks Russ.