SLC5/04 MSG to ControlLogix

christos_d

Good day to you all and congrats to great job done hear !!

I try to find something mentioned for the above "title" but i cannot.

For a recent project i have to communicate both ways between a Controllogix and a Slc504.

504 is part of a dhplus network and Controllogix part of an ethernet one.

They have to communicate both ways.
In order to have any future option open to communicate between those two networks, i purchused and placed a dh+/rio and a enbt/a card of the 1756 family ,placed on a small rack , just to have my gateway.

I managed to have my msg instructions working, reading or writing from my controllogix processor to the slc504 through the gateway easylly using the structrured form of the msg, but unfortunatelly i can not find a way to do the opposite. To write or read with a msg instruction placed on the slc processor, to or from the controllogix through my gateway.

I cannot find any info about these kind of communication , so any experience on that will be appreciated.

The ControlLogix can send a MSG to the SLC-5/04 through this gateway chassis because it uses the CIP protocol to navigate to the 1756-DHRIO, which then executes the DH+ message as through it was a local message between DH+ nodes, and routes the reply back through CIP.

When a local MSG is initiated by the SLC-5/04, it arrives at the 1756-DHRIO module and has nowhere to go; the SLC can't send a DH+ message that includes CIP routing information.

The usual thing to do is to have the ControlLogix CPU in the same chassis as the 1756-DHRIO, so that the "default slot number" configuration in the 1756-DHRIO can tell the module where to send an incoming local DH+ message.

Since your ControlLogix is remote from this gateway chassis, you have to configure a Routing Table in the 1756-DHRIO so that it can send the incoming DH+ message through a CIP path to the controller. The CIP path is configured in the 1756-DHRIO (using RSLinx Classic) and is designated as though it was a DH+ "remote link".

You're going to need to read up on this in the RA Knowledgebase and probably in the 1756-DHRIO User Manual.

Thank you very much for the early response.

One or two questions more until you convert the document to .pdf (unfortunately i do not have access)...:oops:

The paths i have to cofigure in the dhrio should be one for each ip address that i have to communicate in the ethernet network or i can do one for a specific group of ip's, for example 10.10.10.all ?

Another "wall" i hit is the msg instruction on the slc504 that is like this

msg.jpg

and i do not know what kind of target device to choose !!:confused:

Because the "Remote Link" has to be designated to a particular controller in a particular chassis via a particular 1756-ENBT module, you will need one MSG instruction per ControlLogix that the SLC-5/04 intends to communicate with.

You can use 500CPU or PLC5 as the target device type in the MSG instruction. The 485CIF is an ancient compatibility format.

The RA Knowledgebase article is attached.

I had a quick look in the .pdf, and it is 99% what i need (i leave 1% out until i test it :D ).

Thank you very much again. (y) I will get back after the test for the results.