OpenPLC

rroze002

Hi All,

I've been looking into the OpenPLC standards which all seem to lead to the development of the CodeSys software. Does anyone have personal experience with CodeSys? If so, what does it take to develop a, for example, CompactLogix control system?

Also, are there any other good tools for developing controller code?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

I think you've got it mixed up a bit.
CodeSys is a programming software used to program various brands of PLCs.

CompactLogix is a line of PLCs from Rockwell Automation which is programmed with Rockwells own software called RSLogix 5000. It can not be programmed with CodeSys.

Jesper - I couldn't find any information on which PLC's are compatible with CodeSys. The information I found seems to indicate that CodeSys is a development environment for any PLC platform using the OpenPLC standards, I'm assuming that AB PLC's are no exception.

Do you have any experience with CodeSys?

I think you mean PLCOpen, which is the organization mostly responsible for the IEC 61131 standard.

CoDeSys is indeed a development environment for a multitude of PLCs.

//Section here edited out: I was wrong, RS Logix 5000 is PLCOpen compliant.

AB PLC's can only, as far as I know, be developed using AB software.

IEC 61131 is a global standard that outlines a framework for programming PLCs, and adherents to the standard include (but are not limited to!) Phoenix Contact's PC WORX, CoDeSys-based systems such as Wago, Beckhoff's TwinCAT, and Siemen's myriad programming environments.

A list of conforming products is available here: http://www.plcopen.org/pages/tc3_certification/certified_products/

Last edited:
AB PLC's are not "Open PLCs" they are propietary.
A few PLCs that use CoDeSys are Cuttler Hammer, ABB,Weidmueller and others but alas it seem each one has a little different version of CoDeSys.
So even tho they are similar there still is not a truly "Open PLC" where one development software does it all. :(

To Clarify: 3S's CoDeSys is used in a lot of different products, much the same way Google's Android OS is used in many different manufacturer's phones.

Each one tends to have their own 'face' on the software, but under the hood, it works 90% the same.

This is also the case for MultiProg, a software available from KW Software. It's used for a bunch of different manufacturer's products, but under the hood, 95% the same.

IEC 61131 a standard used in PLC languages, explaining how the languages should be interpreted and used.
OpenPLC a group of PLC factories combined and made function blocks and they have a standard how the inputs and outputs have to be defined.
Codesys a PLC program software complying with 61131 and you can use the openplc blocks in their software.
a lot of factories use codesys (you can download the software for free from codesys.com. works great even simulation is possible.
when you buy a PLC you will get a license to program the PLC for about 300 euro.
on codesys.com there is a list of companies using this codesys.

and yes i do have experience with codesys.
i am shooter at codesys forum page

Does anyone have personal experience with CodeSys? If so, what does it take to develop a, for example, CompactLogix control system?

You can't use CoDeSys, at least not out-of-the box, to program a CLX system. On the other hand the possibility of translating always exists, not that I'd recommend even looking into that.

With that said, depending on your project and plant standards, I'd highly recommend using a CoDeSys based PLC. I've been working with A-B for over 30 years. I've programmed Siemens, Modicon, etc... as well. A CoDeSys PLC allows me to to things that I couldn't do for 10x the price with the "big-boys" controllers.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

Good luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)