I/O Not Responding...???

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I understand that I must configure my I/O modules.

I have three modules

In slot 1: 1769-IA16/A Rev 2 (F/W Rev. 3.1)
In Slot 2: 1769-OW16/A Rev 1 (F/W Rev. 1.1)
In slot 3: 1769-IF4XOF2/A Rev 2 (F/W Rev. 1.1)

What does the (F/W Rev. X.X) indicate?????
Is this the revision I need to place in the configuration or the other Rev?

When I try to configure my Revision in the properties menu, I can only select a revision 1 or 3 in the drop down box. There is no Revision 2 to select.

The electronic keying is set to compatible.

Any help with troubleshooting this issue would be very helpful!

Thanks guys

Kandy

Yes, the 1769-ECR connector clicks in to the left, similar to the other connectors on the 1769 bus.

Absence of an End Cap generates a characteristic CPU Major Fault, rather than a configuration error message in RSLogix 5000.

Look on the Connection tab in RSLogix 5000 and see if there's a useful error message there.

I get these fault codes/errors

Major Fault: (Type 03) I/O Fault
(Code 23) At least one required connection not established before going into RUN mode.

Minor Fault: (Type 03) Unknown fault
(Code 00) Unknown fault.
Fault Information Dump:
Info[0]: 00000000
Info[1]: 00000000
Info[2]: 00000000
Info[3]: 00000000
Info[4]: 00000000
Info[5]: 00000000
Info[6]: 00000000
Info[7]: 00000000

That's the "characteristic CPU fault" I was talking about. It causes a flashing red OK LED on the controller and puts the controller actually in FAULT mode. It ought to be clearable, and then appear only in the history.

I don't have the manuals handy, but some of the 1769 analog I/O modules have an option to use external 24V DC power. Check yours to see if there's a slider switch to select external power and be sure the power is hooked up correctly.

That's the "characteristic CPU fault" I was talking about. It causes a flashing red OK LED on the controller and puts the controller actually in FAULT mode. It ought to be clearable, and then appear only in the history.

I don't have the manuals handy, but some of the 1769 analog I/O modules have an option to use external 24V DC power. Check yours to see if there's a slider switch to select external power and be sure the power is hooked up correctly.

You are right. I do not have an external power source connected to the module.

I instead disconnected the analog module from the back plane.

I now have just the Input and Output modules connected. I reconfigured the I/O modules and still the I/O is NOT responding. :oops:

Is it possible that I need to flash the firmware for a particular module?

I have not seen any info for or against it.

No, this isn't a firmware issue.

Does the CPU itself go into Fault mode, or is there just a fault on the I/O modules in the I/O tree ?

Does the Connection tab show a fault code, for each module ?