PanelBuilder32 Pass through communications with SLC

Barry Kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Currently I'm running the following applications.

WinXP SP 3
RS-Linx 2.52
RS-Logix 500 8.00
Panelbuilder 32 Version 3.82

I'm trying to download to a PV1000 through a SLC 5/05.

I'm connected to the SLC via Ethernet. The SLC is connected to the Panelview via RS-232 using RS485 protocol.

I can see the PV in RS-Linx. When I try to upload from the PV it works perfectly.

I'm pretty sure I've got the SLC 5/05 configured properly for pass through and I've got my laptops IP entered into the Routing table in the SLC. I've recently performed a power off reset of the SLC since the routing table was last updated.

But when I try to download to the PV it stops at the stage

Checking Operator Terminal for Compatibility

PB32 than returns with an error code 1030.

Anybody have an idea how to get this to work?

You might have to delete the application in the PanelView terminal before it will accept a download over the Passthrough route.

Be sure also that the Passthrough Link ID's for the Ethernet port and Channel 0 port of the SLC-5/05 are different.

PanelBuilder32's support for the various "passthrough" implementations over the years has been spotty. I try to keep flash memory cards around just for this sort of thing.

In RS-Logix 500, The pass through link for the ethernet is 2. the pass through link for the DH485 is 1.

My Passrhru Routing table has Current Mappings

0: Local 5/05
1: 10.255.3.108 ( my lapttops IP )

The SLC 5/05 is at IP 10.255.30.238

I don't have the appropriate flash card to download to the Panelview and I'm not sure how to erase the panelview. Even if I did, I'm a little worried about doing that because if I still can't download to it, I may shut down a working machine.

If I do erase the panelview, what mode will that put the RS-232 ports into?

If they default to RS-232 mode, I should be able to communicate via the DF1 driver direct?

Is there any Link ID stored in the Panelview itself in the panelbuilder software.

Since I can upload from the Panvelview, I should be able to determine that.

The memory card is the fastest and safest way to perform the download in my opinion. You don't have to erase the existing application to do this. If you get to the config screen, and find the new application on the memory card, the panelview will check its compatibility before erasing what it already has loaded. If it doesn't like it, you can go right back to run mode with no harm done.

I 2nd Ken's recommendation to get an ATA style PCMCIA memory card (or an adapter and a compactflash card) and go that route.

This gets weirder and weirder.

We have another Panel View... a PV 550 on a machine right next to the machine with the PV 1000. Both machines have their own separate SLC 5/05.

A few weeks ago, we had a engineer from the vendor for that machine, download using Ethernet pass through a SLC 5/05 to the PV 550 on DH485 protocol to the other machine. I know it worked, because I set up the pass through for that engineer.

When I tried to download to that same PV 550 today, I had the same issue, I could upload, but not download. I've set the SLC 5/05 in the other machine to point at the IP address of my laptop.

I also tried, moving my laptop over next to the two machines and plugging into the same ethernet port that had worked properly a few weeks ago.

Please don't say the solution is in a knowledge base document, since I have no way to access those documents.

What is the OS in the 5/05? One technote says it needs to be OS501

What are the Passthrough Link IDs of all the 5/05s on the network? Each channel of each SLC must have a unique Passthrough Link ID.

The SLC 5/05 on the one machine is OS501

In the Processor Status File I've got.

OS Cat Number 501
OS Series A
OS FRN 5

Processor Cat Number 551
Processor Series A
Processor FRN 1

The passthrough link IDs are

Channel 1 Passthru Link ID 2

Channel 0 Passthru Link ID 1

Do these have to be unique for each SLC on the Ethernet Network?

The SLCs are on the same Ethernet network, but seperate DH485 networks.

The passthrough link IDs are

Channel 1 Passthru Link ID 2

Channel 0 Passthru Link ID 1

Do these have to be unique for each SLC on the Ethernet Network?
Yes, according to one technote. They show two 5/05 ch. config screens with Passthgough Link IDs of 2,1,4,3

They claim that if you have duplicates on different channels or different SLCs, that you'll see the Panelview in RSwho but "passthrough will fail"...sounds like your symptoms to me.

Last edited:
I tried changing the Link IDs in the channel configuration of both channel 0 and channel 1. It did interrupt the ability of the Panelview to communicate with the SLC. :(

Next, I tried disconnecting the SLC from the plant network, and hooking my laptop up to the SLC with my own switch.

Changed, my laptop to the same subnet as the SLC, since it was now a local network.

Changed the Routing table to the new laptop IP address and Power cycled the control enclosure.

Still unable to download to the panelview. :(

I'm wondering if maybe our IT department installed some virus blocker on my laptop that is blocking this communication.