PV+ Problem writing to "XXX" tag

smohamed

Hello everyone.

I've got a bit of a problem at a site, unfortunately I am not there, and am attempting to remotely determine the issue, to see if there will be a site visit (I'm guessing there will be). Here is my setup on the network.

SLC 5/05 Controller
RSView 32 that is residing on a PC in a control room
PanelView Plus 1500

All of these are running on ethernet. The PV+ and RSView system are the identical programs, giving the user access from either the front of the control panel (PV+) or in the office (RSView 32).

The problem: When attempting to use some of the switches (auto/manual) on the PV+, they are getting an error of "Problem writing value to xxx". However, it is only happening on certain tags within the PV+. Moreover, when trying the same tags from the RSView32 machine, the errors don't seem to happen. I've never really come across this type of issue before and was hoping I could get some assistance.

If I've omitted any details let me know. Thanks in advance.

RSView ME and PanelView Plus can run the same programs.

RSView32 is a totally different editing and runtime program.

If you really do have RSView32 for the PC-based system, then you can focus on the FactoryTalk View Studio project file for the PanelView Plus.

Ideally, your operators would read you the actual tag name mentioned in the error message and you could verify that it is present in the SLC-5/05 program.

Well, RSView32 is a PC platform, not an PV+ platform, so I take it you have two programs one developed in RSView 32 and the other developed in RSView ME that have a look and feel of being identical?

If you are able to connect remotely, build a test application in RSView ME and run the application. You should be able to duplicate the same error (of course only control the system when you have someone on site there to act as your eyes). Follow the tag location and see what is wrong. Could be a PLC thing, could be a Panelview thing...

Is it possible that something has changed in the PLC, the PC's RSView 32 app was updated because the development version is on the PC? But the PanelView was never updated because of the lack of having RSView ME?

Well, RSView32 is a PC platform, not an PV+ platform, so I take it you have two programs one developed in RSView 32 and the other developed in RSView ME that have a look and feel of being identical?

If you are able to connect remotely, build a test application in RSView ME and run the application. You should be able to duplicate the same error (of course only control the system when you have someone on site there to act as your eyes). Follow the tag location and see what is wrong. Could be a PLC thing, could be a Panelview thing...

Is it possible that something has changed in the PLC, the PC's RSView 32 app was updated because the development version is on the PC? But the PanelView was never updated because of the lack of having RSView ME?

You are correct, they both have the same feel to them. I will possibly have to try your idea, but what seems a mystery to me is that the other tags work within the PV program, and the
"problem tags" in the PV+ program work fine in the RSView32 application, so the tags do reside in the PLC. I'm leaning towards a PV+ problem. However, I won't know till I try so I will have to get some eyes over on site and report back on what happens.

I appreciate your reply.

RSView ME and PanelView Plus can run the same programs.

RSView32 is a totally different editing and runtime program.

If you really do have RSView32 for the PC-based system, then you can focus on the FactoryTalk View Studio project file for the PanelView Plus.

Ideally, your operators would read you the actual tag name mentioned in the error message and you could verify that it is present in the SLC-5/05 program.

Yes, you are right. I'm waiting on them to get back to me to let me know exactly what the tag name was to cross-ref it with the PLC program. As mentioned previously, I think you are correct as well I'll have to focus my attention on the PV+ program.

Thanks!