AB- Bridging Controlnet and Ethernet - slight issue

Dravik

Hello:

I am having an issue with bridging Controlnet and Ethernet at our plant.

We have an existing controlnet setup for our fume treatment and wastewater systems with 15 nodes. These include PLC5, FlexLogix, Compactlogix, and some PCs.

A new wastewater system was added last year that was too far from the existing network to run controlnet to. The contract engineers made the decision to run Ethernet to connect a Compactlogix and a couple Panelviews. They also ran fiber up to where we could tap into the existing controlnet and put a backplane in with a psu, a 1756-cnb/e, and a 1756-enbt-a. The 1756-cnb was setup as node 16 and we rescheduled the controlnet at that time.

Currently I can see the controlnet from the ethernet side(I can browse around and connect to any of the PLCs to bring up the program and do edits).
I cannot connect to the Ethernet compactlogix from the controlnet side however. I did add the ip of the ethernet Compactlogix and I can 'see' it in Rslinx(ala, serial numbers and whatnot) but I cannot connect to it via Rs5000. I get the "Failed to go online with the controller. Unable to open connection -- all connections may be in use" error 701-8004250a.

I've tried reinstalling rslinx on the laptop i'm using. I also increased the system timeslice on the PLC in the odd chance that was an issue(didn't think so, but i've been following the technotes and trying things).

Has anyone else setup something like this and gotten it to work?

Do you get the same message when you try to go online with the CompactLogix from the Ethernet side of the network ? I presume you can, since you mentiond changing the timeslice.

Check the embedded web pages in the CompactLogix to see how many CIP connections it is running; that error message might be perfectly true if it is running a large number of I/O modules or messages on Ethernet. Check the capacity counters also inside the 1756-CNB that acts as a bridge (use RSLinx -> Module Statistics).

Ken:

No, it works fine from the Ethernet side of things.

Yeah, I checked the CIP connections, running 2 most of the time, 4 max.
All the I/O is on the backplane, Just the PV+ x2 that talk to the processor most of the time.

I'll give a look at the capacity counters on the cnb, Seems strange since I can access any of the controlnet stuff from the ethernet side.

Ok, I checked on those counters. Aside from the CPU %, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as wrong. I uploaded pictures of the screen.

cnb1.jpg cnb2.jpg cnb3.jpg

Update: Solved the problem.

The computer was using a 1784-pcic card w/ firmware 3.5, I rev'd that to 3.10 and rev'd the drivers. I also wiped out the harmony config and deleted all the extra topics.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Ken,

What if this message is popping out: "Failed to go with the controler . No open connection" Error : 701-8004250A

but previously the system is working well and suddenly it cannot connect.

Do you think what might be the possibilities to thar error?

Thanks for your attention.

Buenas tardes, tengo el mismo problema, no me puedo conectar al plc solo me queda actualizar el firmware de la 17 a la 20.4, pero creen que el programa se pueda perder si lo actualizo?

Buenas tardes, tengo el mismo problema, no me puedo conectar al plc solo me queda actualizar el firmware de la 17 a la 20.4, pero creen que el programa se pueda perder si lo actualizo?

Hello BrandoOpto22:
I do not see why your program would get lost just for updating firmware. Normally newer firmware versions should support programs built with older tools. I would prefer to get confirmation from some of the more experienced members of the forum. Do you mean you do not have the program and/or the Logix Studio 5000 software to make a backup just in case?

Hola BrandoOpto22:
No veo por qué se perdería el programa solo por actualizar el firmware. Normalmente nuevo firmware soporta programas compilados con herramientas de versiones más viejas. Habría que preferiblemente consultar con los expertos del foro. ¿Entiendo correctamente si supongo que tu problema es que no tienes disponible el Logix Studio 5000 para hacer un respaldo del programa de tu PLC?