Help with slc 500 /04 fault light

HOTRIDER183

I have a slc 500 that wont communicate with rslinx & rslogix 500 i have reset the cpu to defult settings and also reset the cpu but the red fault light still flashes & i canot get comms to note book but i was able to in the past? Could it be settings or software problems? I have changed over the rack & the cpu but still no go? Can any one help me?

How are you trying to communicate,DH+ / RS 232 DF1 ?

Can you see the PLC in RS Linx.

What is exact AB part number of 504 ?

What versions of RS Logix / Linx do you have ?

Do I understand you properly when you say you have swapped the processor ?

I will have to check the version but it is "lite" & the plc has a read cross over it in rs linx wich means no comms, i am usin the a/b usb - rs232 converter with cable to conect to it, yes i have tryed to swap the processor.

The usb adaptors can be a pain. I have ran into this many times.

Red fault lite flashing, you are probably back to default program, in other words, nothing in the CPU.

What are yout settings in RSLinx?

Check on the default comms for a 5/04. I believe it is
DF1 rs232
SLC CH0
CRC error checking I believe the USB adaptor only works with CRC, won't swear to that.
and of course make sure your on the right com port.

you may have to delete your old driver, then shut down RsLinx before creating a new driver. seems to work better that way.

If you upgrade to the most current RsLinx lite, 2.54, it can do an auto configure for you, it's a free upgrade.

When i run auto config in rs linx failed to find baud rate & party check all cabels & switch settings? Can any one help with this error?

I am using a ab_df1-1 driver for the usb (df1) cat: 1747-uic and the ok light is on but no usb light? Is it the converter or somthing els stoping communications, when i click auto config the error that comes up is "failed to find baud rate & party! Check all cabels & switches? Can anyone help?

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The serial port on your SLC5/04 would have to be configured for DH485 protocol for it to work.
The adapter USB to Serial (RS232) you need for a port configured for DF1 is the one I reference above ("Keyspan" brand).

Thanks guys for your support i ended up using a prolific usb-serial converter that i had floating around & got a driver off the web and conected and re loaded program all good! Thanks all!