Student solutions manual for 3rd edition PLC activities manual by Frank D. Petruzella

Does anyone know if a solutions manual exists for the 3rd edition PLC activities manual by Frank D. Petruzella? There are 100's of questions but not a single answer is given or discussed in the manual.

Welcome to the board Pete.

One of the objectives of a PLC course is to get the student to thinking about how to solve the problem rather than giving a solution to the problem. That's probably why the book doesn't give the answer to the questions. Thats how it is in industry - often there are no ready made solutions. There are may of us here who are willing to to help them reason through the problem solution, but not so willing to just give the answer out - after all, eventually we will find ourselves working with those students after they complete their schooling and enter the field and want competent coworkers who won't endanger us or others.

Students should feel free to post a question, propose a solution or a method to arrive at the solution, and if the sudent shows some effort, many will be happy to mentor.

Last edited:
I have checked out a PLC book by Frank D. Petruzella through a regional Library System. It is obviously a school text. I remember it being very outdated. PLC2's and SLC100's were featured as I recall. Maybe you have a newer version. The publisher may have a teachers copy available, or perhaps eBay or Amazon.

I think that you would be better off with Phil's book in the Learn PLC's or PLC Training Store.

You can learn a lot with the various threads here.

Good Luck!

casey

Phils on line is very good to at least discourage you or to send you to the next level of education. His book is very good for a raw beginner. Helped me a lot good investment of your money.

I do NOT recommend you try learning this stuff at home with just a textbook. It is too complicated and can in the early stages be too dangerous - it IS possible to energize an output with NO inputs even hooked up. If you insist then get an Allen Bradley "10 pack" with free software in a low voltage version.

Frank D. Petruzella's book is very good
I recommend checking it out thru your library
- I did and saved some money.
I do not think enough of it to recommend purchase for use as a permanent referance
BUT I also think this field changes fast enough where any "permanent referance" is out of date in 3 years.

I highly recommend you do the above three PLUS
check out your local community college and see if they have a PLC course.
I did
they had Allen Bradley from the little "10 pack" up thru the 5 05.
They had a pretty good instructor

I learned a lot with someone elses equipment and money - a very good investment.

Dan Bentler

There are 100's of questions but not a single answer is given or discussed in the manual.
Pete, I use the Petruzella text in my PLC course and there is no such item as the one you describe. As for the statement you made that I quoted here, you have grossly overlooked the value of the text and if you are just starting in the course, give it time. Try reading the text, look at the questions and then see if you can answer them. As others have said, the purpose of a course or text is to give you insight to new knowledge. That is not the same as giving you answers to questions. Hang in there, the text is great, the lab book that accompanies it is great and the LogixPro simulator that is with the lab manual is invaluable. OR, change careers!