RSLinx OEM version license/OPC Server problem

jeffdc54

I have a customer who has RSLinx OEM version because I set their system up to use RSLinx as an OPC Server for HMI communications. This system has been working fine for awhile, but all of a sudden they lost communications. When they bring up RSLinx, it now says LITE version in the title bar. Anyone have a clue what happened here? I do not believe the activation is corrupted. I tried having them delete the harmony files and restart and they say it still says LITE.

Last edited:
Do they have the Master disk for Linx OEM? If so have them put the disk in the A: drive and restart RSLinx (reboot if running as service). If OEM starts then they lost the license. Sometimes Antivirus software will screw it up. There is a procedure to reset the Master disk and they can transfer it back to the PC. Check the AB Rockwell web site. I think you can do this once a year if you don't have a service agreement.

Is it licensed via EVRSI (master floppy) or Factory Talk activation ?

If it is the first, then use the Reset Activation utility to see if the license is still on the computer.
If this is not succesful, then investigate the attributes of the files EVRSI.SYS and 386SWAP.PAR in the root directory (IF they are there).
EVRIS.SYS must have SHR set.
386SWAP.PAR must have ASHR set.

If you Factory Talk activation is used, then use the Factory Talk Activation Tool to investigate what has happened with the host ID.
Maybe the file with the host ID information has been moved or modified.

I am pretty sure it DID NOT come with a floppy so must be Factory Talk activation. I will have them try to Tool to see if activation shows up, thanks.

If it wasnt you that setup RSLinx, then you should not mess around with it. In stead find out who did it, and let that person fix it.
If you mess with it, but cannot fix it, then who do you think gets all the blame ?