Driver for PCMK 1784 driver of windows XP.

I have got my hands on a PCMK 1784 card and cable from a old laptop from a plant that we are closing down :(.

I want to install it on my laptop so I can use DH+ and not rely on there being a ethernet card/connection

Going to AB support for the driver I get the following message

"This answer is 'locked' or being updated."

Does anyone know where I can get the driver?

If you do not have a tech contract your question will usually be moved and locked out. I am not at work yet, but if you google it you should be able to find the driver. I dont know what version your card is, but I remember doing that some years ago and still using the same driver with no problems.

If you have RSLinx installed, you can find the driver in the RSLinx program file directory on your computer.
My path looks like this: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX\PnP_Drivers\Win2K\1784-PCMK

The Windows 2000 driver works with Windows XP.

I agree with Ron. This is how I connect to almost all of our PLCs in the plant. I've got one cable for DH+ and another for DH-485, but I still use the same driver for both, just have to set it up a little differently.

Just make sure you pick pcmk, and not pktx. If you try and use PKTX with a pcmk card you will be restarting your computer. :)

have you tried this approach in RSLinx? ...

Rons approach will only work after you have installed the plug and play driver for the pcmk card. If you attempt to configure the driver in rslinx before you install the card driver you will get a warning saying rslinx failed to initiate the device.

from controlled:

Rons approach will only work after you have installed the plug and play driver for the pcmk card.

the driver that's been mentioned was automatically installed when I installed RSLinx ... (C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX\PnP_Drivers\Win2K\1784-PCMK\PcmkWdm.sys) ...

my RSLinx version is 2.52.00.17 ...

I haven't tried actually setting up a PCMK card on this particular laptop at home - because the card is at work right now - happily chugging away in another laptop ... I'd be willing to bet (pocket change only) that I could make the magic happen though - without any additional downloads from AB ...

Last edited:
from controlled:

the driver that's been mentioned was automatically installed when I installed RSLinx ... (C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX\PnP_Drivers\Win2K\1784-PCMK\PcmkWdm.sys) ...

my RSLinx version is 2.52.00.17 ...

I haven't tried actually setting up a PCMK card on this particular laptop at home - because the card is at work right now - happily chugging away in another laptop ... I'd be willing to bet (pocket change only) that I could make the magic happen though - without any additional downloads from AB ...
No thanks Ron, you're one person who I would definately not want to bet.

I would like to take this an a learning opportunity. I am running rs linx ver. 2.51. For trial purposes, I inistalled rs linx on an XP machine that i have never had any AB software installed on. After installing rs linx, i inserted my pcmk card. Windows then popped up saying a new device was found, and asked to install the driver. I declined, and then started up rs linx. I configured a new driver, selected the 1784-kt... driver, configured for pcmk. After pressing OK, a window popped up saying "unable to initialize the device because the PCMK plug and play driver does not appear to be loaded...."

Is the mentioned driver, the driver in rs linx, or the windows device driver that came on a floppy disk with the pcmk card?

Windows MUST recognize the card before RSLinx can use it. As mentioned, the Windows driver is automatically stored on your hard drive when RSLinx is installed. So no additional downloads are needed. But you MUST let Windows recognize and install the driver before you do anything with RSLinx.

A driver "stored" on the hard drive is not the same as "installed" where Windows is concerned.

OG

Last edited:
Is the mentioned driver, the driver in rs linx, or the windows device driver that came on a floppy disk with the pcmk card?

the file MUST have come on the RSLinx CD - because I haven't done anything along those lines with a floppy disk ... this is a laptop that I just formatted the hard disk on - and installed RSLinx from the CD ... it's been several years since I set up the laptop at work that's got the PCMK card in it ... I'm reasonably sure that I didn't do anything with a floppy on that one either ...

in fact, I just explored my RSLinx CD - and the file I mentioned above is right there - ready to go ... I haven't actually TRIED it - but I'm pretty sure it's the file that is needed ...

if you had to do a download from the AB website to get it, maybe (?) you didn't use the "full default" settings when you installed RSLinx ... maybe that explains it ...

tell you what ... I've got an extra laptop that's running XP Pro ... would it help if I bring home the PCMK card and see if it comes up and runs? ...

to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that we've even got a problem here in the first place ... the original poster asked "how to get the driver?" - and then hasn't posted again since ... personally I think he's already GOT it ... jimbo3123 nailed down the same path that I have - and I'll bet that the necessary file is right there where it's supposed to be ...

maybe (?) Struggling_forward has got everything working now - and the rest of us are just running around in circles and keeping the dust from settling ...

offline for tonight ...

Last edited: